Monday, January 20, 2020

Jerry Moran: USMCA a major step to providing needed certainty for Kansas farmers

(From Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kansas)

On Thursday, I voted in favor of approving the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) on the Senate floor. The agreement was approved overwhelmingly in the Senate and will now be sent to the President’s desk for his signature.

Passing USMCA is a major step in implementing this 21st-century trade deal and providing needed certainty for Kansas farmers, ranchers and manufacturers.

Over one-third of Kansas exports go to Canada and Mexico making those countries Kansas’ two largest export markets. 

On Jan. 3, I urged Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to consider USMCA as soon as it passed out of the appropriate Senate committees. I voted Wednesday in both the Senate Appropriations and Commerce Committees to pass USMCA, moving it to the full Senate for a vote. 








I appreciate Senate leaders’ listening to my request and quickly moving this important trade agreement to a vote on the Senate floor.

Over the past two years, I have consistently advocated for a deal like USMCA to be reached. I have heard directly from many Kansas producers on the vital importance of a modern trade deal that expands export opportunities, and I applaud President Trump’s work to get this trade deal accomplished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He doesn't have his flag pin on in this picture!