Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Stotts City Mayor: Audit oversight, accountability should unite, not divide city


(From Stotts City Mayor Tracy Knight)

As recent news coverage has highlighted the challenges facing Stotts City following the Missouri State Auditor’s report, I believe it is important for residents and the public to understand the purpose behind the actions I have taken as Mayor. The coverage notes that the audit and differing views on how to respond have contributed to division within our community.

From my first day in office, my focus has remained on one objective: faithfully carrying out the responsibilities entrusted to me by the citizens of Stotts City.








My efforts to review city records, monitor implementation of the State Auditor’s recommendations, examine financial controls, and evaluate potential conflicts of interest are not intended to create division or assign blame. They are part of the oversight responsibilities that accompany the office of Mayor and are intended to ensure that public resources are managed responsibly, transparently, and in accordance with Missouri law.

The State Auditor identified significant areas where improvements are needed, including financial recordkeeping, internal controls, reconciliation of city finances, and accountability measures. Those findings deserve thoughtful attention and meaningful action—not because of politics, but because they concern the stewardship of public resources.

Likewise, reviewing situations in which public officials or employees have overlapping responsibilities is a routine governance practice. Such reviews are not accusations of wrongdoing. Rather, they are intended to determine whether appropriate safeguards, disclosures, and internal controls exist to protect both the public and the individuals serving in those positions.

Public confidence is strengthened when government demonstrates transparency, welcomes accountability, and verifies that proper safeguards are in place.








I recognize that change can be difficult, and I understand that there are differing perspectives on how best to move forward. My hope is that we can shift our focus away from conflict and toward cooperation in addressing the audit findings and strengthening city government.

Every request I have made for records, financial information, and documentation has been guided by a single question: Are we doing everything we can to protect the interests of the citizens of Stotts City?

That question should unite us rather than divide us.

I remain committed to working respectfully with the Board of Aldermen, city staff, state agencies, and our residents to implement improvements that will benefit our community for years to come.


The citizens elected me to provide leadership, transparency, and accountability. I intend to continue fulfilling those responsibilities fairly, professionally, and without favoritism.


No comments: