Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mantle book, not Simpson fiasco, led to publisher's firing

An article in New York magazine says it was a heavily fictionalized account of Mickey Mantle's life, not the notorious O. J. Simpson book, led to the firing of ReganBooks Publisher Judith Regan.
Today's New York Daily News features excerpts from the article.
Mantle, of course, was born in Commerce, Okla., and prior to his major league career with the New York Yankees, which began in 1951, he played minor league ball in numerous area venues, including Joplin and Carthage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More fiction:
Mantle was born in Spavinaw, Okla., not Commerce, Okla.
Mantle did play minor league ball at Joplin (and at Independence) before joining the big club in New York, but he never played minor league ball for Carthage.
Instead of trusting a memory that is insufficient, try some research next time, or use my memory.
Martin

Randy said...

If I am wrong about the Commerce reference, I apologize, though Mantle's name is associated far more with Commerce than with Spavinaw. If you will read my post, I never said he played for Carthage, I said he played at Carthage.