Monday, April 28, 2008

Barbre relives draft day memories for Packers website


Former East Newton High School and Missouri Southern State University football standout Allen Barbre relived the 2007 NFL draft day in an interview with Packers.com:

"I was back home, hanging out with my family. I just remember the suspense, never knowing what's going on. Every time the phone rings, not knowing who it is. It's a great memory. I had a great day, and it was a great turning point in my life.

Allen Barbre"Atlanta had called me, Jacksonville had called me. They were all checking up on me. But it was total suspense, you know. I had just gotten off the phone with Dallas, and they said they were going to take me with pick 122, and then as soon as I hung up the phone, I set it down for maybe a second, and then it rang again. I picked it up and they said, 'Is Allen Barbre there?' I said, 'Yeah, this is him.' They said, 'This is the Green Bay Packers, and we're looking to draft you. Can you hang on a second?' Then they came back and said, 'All right, we're taking you.'

"It was awesome. It was overwhelming, and I was in total awe. It took a little while for it to hit me, where I was going, what I was doing. It was unreal."

No comments: