Friday, July 11, 2008

Former Barton County circuit clerk has new position

Readers of this blog and my last book, The Turner Report, know that I credit former Barton County Circuit Clerk Jerry Moyer with teaching me the ins and outs of court documents and where to look for the little things that sometimes can lead to big stories.

Jerry became circuit clerk in January 1983, just two months after I began my second stint at the Lamar Democrat (I had served as sports editor in 1978) and he spent a considerable amount of time helping a young reporter learn the ropes. Today's Springfield News-Leader has an article on Jerry, who has a new job as Greene County courts administrator:

Moyer, a former Barton County Circuit Clerk of 24 years, took his post July 1. In the days since, he's been acclimating himself to activities at the Greene County Judicial Courts Facility.

"Kind of getting my feet on the ground," Moyer said Wednesday, after a reception to welcome him to the job.

He hasn't set specific goals, he said, "other than to just help the courts here move forward. It's going to be a collaborative type of thing. It's not something I can do myself."

For his services --whatever they end up being -- the county will pay Moyer $72,509 a year, money freed up by the 911 Sales Tax approved in 2007.

Moyer retired from his position as Barton County Circuit Clerk in 2006, but said he soon found he's not ready for retirement. He moved to Ava with his wife, and soon after learned of the Greene County opening.

He beat out more than 40 applicants for the position.

"I wanted to do something that I felt would help the courts," Moyer said.

No comments: