Thursday, June 21, 2007

Did I miss the Globe's Nodler story?


Maybe I just missed it, but did the Joplin Globe ever run the story about Sen. Gary Nodler, R-Joplin, being named the new chairman of the Senate's Budget Committee?

I have searched for it in the print edition every day since the Globe put a brief version of the story on its website Friday, two days after the story appeared in The Turner Report (the first media outlet to post the information was the Columbia Tribune Political Blog).

I assumed the full story would be posted on the internet and in the print edition the following day, but apparently I was wrong. Buzz Ball and The Carthage Press were all over the story, and a shorter, but still satisfactory version appeared in the Neosho Daily News, but as far as I can tell, it has not been treated as a legitimate news story by the Globe.

Having our state senator in charge of the budget committee, no matter how you feel about his politics or about him for that matter, is a big deal for this area. The Globe's brief post on Friday was a rehash of news releases. This story deserved something more; so did the Joplin Globe's readers.

If I missed it and the Globe did run a more complete story and interview, please let me know. This is one time I would love to have to run an apology.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was about a week after you ran the story because I remember thinking to myself that they were really on top of things!

Randy said...

I'm glad to hear they got it in at least.

Anonymous said...

Randy - maybe if you weren't such a cheapskate and would pay for a regular subscription to area newspaper that you like to criticize, you wouldn't miss things.

Didn't your Mamma ever tell you not to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Randy said...

I don't subscribe to the Globe, but I have bought a copy of it almost every day for the last 30 years. I am still not convinced that an item ever ran in the newspaper itself, though I noticed the story was covered in this week's Newton County News (which I also buy).

Anonymous said...

I saw it in the online edition.....

Randy said...

That has been the only place where I have seen it. That was only a brief mention, and appeared to be a rewrite of the news release. So far, the Globe appears to have decided not to run a staff-written story on the subject.