Sunday, July 13, 2008

Racism in the Ozarks


After about a month-long layoff, KSPR's Emily Rittman returned to blogging with a post on "Racism in the Ozarks" Tuesday:

Today I went out on the campaign trail with the two Republican candidates for sheriff in Christian County. Not only did we learn a little about both of their platforms. I got to see racism still exists in the Ozarks first hand.

I guess growing up in the Kansas City area I’d hear inappropriate comments from time to time but nothing that stopped me in my tracks. I’m not naive enough to think there weren’t racist people in my community. I just didn’t hear or see it. Anytime I heard anything slightly racist it was phrased in the form of a joke. An apology or excuse would quickly follow. I know that I have no idea what it’s like to be the target of a racist joke … yet I couldn’t help but feel sick to my stomach when I saw a racist gesture today. No not from either of the candidates but someone driving by our interview.


The story of her encounter with racism makes for compelling reading.

No comments: