Position: Director of Transportation
Term: Full-time, 12 Month
Qualifications: Some College or equivalent technical training helpful but not
Minimum of five years’ experience in education or transportation
with at least three years in a supervisory position or significant
Knowledge of transportation and operation;
Organization skills to route a transportation system;
Commercial Drivers License and Passenger Endorsement;
Such alternative to the above qualifications that the Board may
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent for Operations
- Supports the mission of Joplin Schools.
- Supports the value of education.
- Complies with the privacy rights of students.
- Safeguards confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Communicates effectively with all the members of the school district and community.
- Provides excellence in customer service both internally and externally.
- Reacts to change productively.
- Keeps abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Maintains accurate records and filing systems for accountability and audit purposes.
- Ensures that all activities conform to district and state guidelines.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals.
- Respond to common inquires or complaints from patrons, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Effectively present information to top management, public groups, employee groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Work with mathematical concepts as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situation.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Interpret a variety or instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, and the community.
- Perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and board of Education Policies.
- Be involved in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring process for Route Drivers and Bus Aides.
- Coordinate, supervise, and evaluate all Bus Drivers, Bus Aides, and Transportation Secretaries in conjunction with the daily responsibilities.
- Oversee the Bus Driver and Bus Aide time sheets prior to submission to the Payroll Department.
- Interpret school rules and regulations.
- Direct the evaluation of Transportation personnel and programs.
- Develops and administers a District-wide transportation program, including program planning, implementation and evaluation to meet all requirements of the daily instructional program and extracurricular activities.
- Oversees the development of a bus routing system.
- Oversees the establishment of bus stops and monitors conditions.
- Oversees the scheduling and driver assignments of special trips.
- Assist at time of emergency or in matters of priority such as checking road conditions during inclement weather or extracurricular activities.
- Monitor radio communication during morning and afternoon route time, insuring day to day route discrepancies are handled in a professional manor.
- Oversees the safety standards such as placement of the “Empty” signs at the end of every trip.
- Investigates requests and complaints relating to transportation and responds or makes recommendations to School Principal or the Assistant Superintendent for Support Services.
- Maintains daily records for Driver and Aide substitute assignments and absences
- Oversees the development of Bus Driver/Aide training safety programs.
- Communicate in a professional manner on the radio with clear and concise information on the VersaTrans system.
- Oversee the input of information to routing, student database, map updates, and route information on VersaTrans system.
- Maintain records for obtaining statistical information or survey data necessary for planning.
- Coordinate all required training to the Bus Drivers and Bus Aides .
- Implement proper DOT drug/alcohol testing procedures as well as all rules, regulations, and requirements as established by DOT, MODOT, and DESE.
- Review student stops and loading zones for safety.
- Coordinate and maintain records of driver physicals, driver licensing and permits, summary reports, mileage reports, and State required reports.
- Confer regularly with principals and District-level Administrators on adequacy of services, safety, and school bus discipline.
- Reconfigure all routes so that students will be picked up and dropped off as efficiently as possible, with consideration to time on bus, route mileage, turnarounds, and safety prior to the start of school and release for publication, includes approximate pick-up and drop-off times for each route.
- Meet with drivers prior to start of school to discuss and finalize routes.
- Ride each route at least one per year observing driver efficiency, safety conditions, student conduct, etc.
- Act as the first step in the grievance procedure further advising the director.
- Play a significant leadership role in fostering professional growth and building of staff morale throughout the area of Buildings, Grounds, and Transportation.
- Serve as substitute driver if needed.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
The work conditions and environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Conditions and Environment
The noise level in this position varies. When on or around a bus, the noise level may be loud, in the office, quiet and at meetings, moderate.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.