Thursday, November 10, 2016

Cleaver: The election is over; it is time to move forward

(From Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver)

The American people have spoken. The country has elected Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States. Election Day is now over and the job before us is to keep America moving forward. The only way to do that is to work together with humility and respect for one another despite our differences.

I’ve talked many times about civility. Now is the time to practice that very act of decency and respectful conduct. We have a greater responsibility and that is to our country and to democracy. I have no doubt that there will be differences, but what matters now is how we work through those differences to do what’s best for America.

When my colleagues and I return to Washington next week, we will focus on the tasks remaining this year and roll up our sleeves to get started on the work before us for the 115th Congress. I will continue working on the projects I have started this year: making sure the pensions for thousands of retirees are secure, honoring the sacrifices and services of our veterans from World War I through today, creating an atmosphere of economic growth for small businesses and rural communities, making sure companies are conducting fair hiring practices, and the list goes on and on. But it is a list that I take very seriously…a list too important to neglect.

No comments: