Saturday, December 30, 2017

David G. Hargroder: Some thoughts about music, good and bad

I’ll be 100% honest, my favorite type of music is hardcore gangster rap. I was actually just informed the other day that I am a fan of “Trap Music.”

The next generation is a very knowledgeable group. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love all music. I will tap my foot and bob my head to just about any genre of music; however, it takes Lil’ Wayne, Lil Boosie, or Machine Gun Kelly to get my day started. I usually mellow out during lunch to a little Drake or Young Gerald. And if we’re being honest, I tend to close the day on a 2pac and Eminem note. That type of music just resonates with my mentality when it comes to conquering the day.

So, what if your favorite type of music is Country? What about Death Metal? Maybe a little light rock helps you melt the day’s stress away.



On the flip side, I wonder how many people go through the holiday season wanting to rip their hair out every time a Christmas song comes on? Despite the genre you feel most connected (or disconnected) to there is one undeniable fact, music influences us to our very core. 

In both times of good and times of bad most of us turn to music to either celebrate or get through the rough time. We use music as a tool to give praise, to party, to grieve; it’s almost like, we all really do have a personal soundtrack to our life. It took me several years to be able to answer the question, “If ever met with the unfortunate dilemma of deciding whether I would I rather be blind or deaf what would I choose?” At this point in my life I have to say I’d take being blind over deaf. I just love music that much.

Recent biomedical research has shown that music and rhythm affects multiple areas of the brain simultaneously, and the brain that engages in music is actually changed by that engagement. The research also shows that music is actually capable of building new neural connections in the brain through experience and exposure, thus improving the brain’s ability to “rewire” itself after trauma or injury. This rehabilitative phenomena, known as Neurological Music Therapy (NMT) has allowed certain individuals to lead more productive lives following their injury.

This type of therapy has been shown to be extremely effective in the treatment of PTSD suffered by our military veterans and active duty service members. 

NMT has become a recognized treatment option by departments such as: Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, and the National Intrepid Center of Excellence. The recognition garnered by this therapy has led to the development of The Center for American Military Music Opportunities (CAMMO.) This organization has a very simple two-pronged approach. First, to create music-based therapeutic programming and outlets for service members, veterans and family members. Secondly, to train and educate service members, veterans, and their families in music career opportunities including artist development.



What about the negative impacts of music? Sure, it can be a great therapy for many but recent studies also show that music can have a negative affect on human behavior and rational cognitive reasoning. The vast majority of studies conclude that these negative impacts are far more prevalent among adolescents and teenagers than adults. Under the educated assumption that these studies are accurate, it is important to understand the correlation between childhood development and the role choice of music plays in the development of today’s youth.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “adolescents’ choice of music and their reactions to and interpretations of it vary with age, culture, and ethnicity. Research has even shown that there is also a difference in these variables between genders. 

While female adolescents are more likely to use music to reflect their emotional state, in particular when experiencing feelings of loneliness or feeling “down,” male adolescents are more likely to use music as a tool to stimulant their energy level, or to create a more positive image of themselves.”



I’m no pediatric psychologist, but I would speculate that the gender variable stays constant throughout life. This isn’t to suggest that women don’t use music to get pumped up just as much as men do when we’re feeling lonely. It’s merely a statistical probability that men and women will react in some form or fashion consistent with the gender role in which he or she identifies.

Listening to your favorite music, for most, is the best way to coast through the day. While it’s true that we are constantly influenced by our surroundings, I believe it is especially true that you are influenced by the music you listen to. My philosophy on the matter, rock on, live and let live, and let the pieces settle where they may. Party on party people.

(David G. Hargroder is a Webb City resident.)
-->

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Unknown said...

Good thing the article doesn't meet your definition. Pediatrics academy and CAMMO are both described, make the facts (not opinions) appropriately placed. A fact shared is not a thought or idea. But I've included those too. Thanks, Anonymous. You plagiarized (copy and pasted) that definition remarkably.

Anonymous said...

Why are you giving credence to this guy, Randy? It’s beneath the quality content your readership has come to expect.

Randy said...

My readers know they have the option of not reading the posts, something they choose to do occasionally with my writing. Judging by the numbers I am seeing, most of them are opting to read David's posts.

Anonymous said...

David is a "poser"

Dusty Roads said...

At least he has enough guts to post his face and name with his Posts...hats off to that

Anonymous said...

Let’s have a little respect for the diseased!!! This young man just passed away last night!!

Anonymous said...

*deceased

Anonymous said...

Who passed away?

Anonymous said...

7:44 am, David Hargroder died over the weekend.

Boomer said...

I am a friend of the Hargroder’s and ask you say a prayer for them. David Gabriel passed away.

Unknown said...

This young, brilliant, funny man died tragically within 48 hours of his posting this. His father has saved many lives, working through the Joplin tornado. I've personally witnessed David Sr. crack open a chest and hand-beat a heart back to life. No matter what you think of David Gabriel, please take a moment and pray for his mother Angelique and his father David Sr. and their families and loved ones. Trolls have no place in the world where David Gabriel wrote some of his last words.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts/prayers are with you and your family.

RIP David.

LA said...

Thank you. I will pass your kind words along. An Aunt

Private said...

I was with David Dec 30th and the New Year’s Eve morning. Im not sure what happened to him but this brakes my heart. David wanted me to stay and do something New Year’s Eve, but I had plans already. This absolutely brakes my heart. I was actually about to text him to see how he was doing and I was wondering why I haven’t heard from him. Then i noticed everyone’s post on Facebook. This absolutely brakes my heart and he was just telling me 2018 was going to be his year. To all of his family and friends, y’all are in my thoughts and prayers & I’m so sorry for your loss. RIP David!

Anonymous said...

O my this is terribly sad I never knew David Jr but his father is a very good man person friend and father and he is a amazing surgeon he done my acid reflex surgery he is very kind I'm so sorry for the Hargroders loss David Jr had to be a amazing person like his parents are my heart goes out to thr.e hargroader family this brought tears to my eyes God I want to come to you to please put your loving hands and arms over the Hargroader family in Jesus name we pray Amen 🙏🏽💯❤

Anonymous said...

Wow thats so rude and disrespectful