Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rod Smith enjoying tutoring Broncos young wide receiver

Former Missouri Southern State College wide receiver Rod Smith is enjoying his retirement, but is staying involved in the game that brought him two Super Bowl rings.
An article in today's Denver Post notes Smith is mentoring Denver Broncos rookie wide receiver Brandon Marshall:

For the record, he's dabbling in real estate and a few other business interests. But Smith's real passion these days is keeping Brandon Marshall on the straight and narrow.
"We talk every other day," Smith said. "It's kind of our standard thing. We have to talk. I'm on track with him, seeing how he's doing. We probably talk more about life than football. Every time he does something right, I let him know. And every time he does something wrong, I let him know."
The interesting part isn't that Smith has become Marshall's mentor. The interesting part is why. He isn't being paid by the Broncos. He doesn't have a title, official or otherwise. He's doing it because he wants to do it.
No, check that. He's doing it because something inside tells him he has to. Because that's how he's wired. If there's one thing about Rod Smith, it's this: He never forgets his roots.
"I don't get paid a dime," he said. "This is personal for me. My pay is by them letting me come through those big gates for 14 years."

No comments: