Thursday, July 13, 2006

Blunt willing to call special session

Governor Matt Blunt says he is willing to call a special session if the General Assembly addresses the issue of Medicaid fraud.
In a news release issued Wednesday, the governor said:

"We have brought the issue of fraud in our social welfare system to the forefront of reform efforts. I have called on the Missouri House of Representatives previously to pass a tough Medicaid Provider Fraud Bill to combat Medicaid providers who cheat taxpayers. Today I am renewing that call. Fighting Medicaid Fraud and providing a transitional benefit through Medicaid are important issues. If the House were to tell me that they are ready to pass a strong Medicaid fraud bill similar to the one the Senate passed and that I supported, I would be willing to call a special session to deal with both issues."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It never fails to amaze me how republicans seem to feel themselves surrounded by thieves. Its not that I doubt there's fraud, but I do doubt that there's anywhere near as much fraud as they seem to think and when I consider all the corruption that I have seen lately, the majority of it seems to be from the republicans and their friends.

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a lot of Medicaid fraud. I am a nurse and worked for a doctor in his office where for one instance, some of the girls (pregnant and otherwise) that came in had a Medicaid card in one name and telling that wasn't their name anymore because they had gotten married. We would tell them they needed a card with their actual legal name on it before we could see them. However, I know of times other doctors seen the patients we turned away and just put them down as the name they had on the Medicaid card. There should be something in place that follows up on these people and demands the doctors, hospitals and anyone else that knows of the info being inconsistent being required to report it. The way it is, some doctors and hospitals, (I am guessing here), are fearful of the money (little that they actually collect on from Medicaid)it will take from them. Others are probably to lazy to do their jobs and it is just easier to not report it. Trust me there are more than just this scenario.