Tuesday, November 13, 2007

KY3 Political Notebook offers background on Giuliani visit

KY3 Political Notebook reporter David Catanese offers a behind-the-scenes look at former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani's campaign stop in Mount Vernon Monday:

An hour before the start of the Rudy Giuliani event, the tiny American Legion Hall in Mt. Vernon was packed with veterans, party faithful and state legislators -- some who made it abundantly clear to me, they were there to listen and pay their respects. Not to endorse. At least, not yet.

"I'm still learning about all this," said State Sen. Jack Goodman to me, stuck in the doorway of the Legion Hall. "I figured a presidential candidate from my party is visiting my town, I should be here."

Rep. Shane Schoeller walks in the door, gives me a hearty handshake and deadpans with a grin -- "No, this is not an endorsement, Dave."

These comments are emblematic at how splintered and conflicted Ozarks Republicans are about their choice for president this time around.

But at this point, it doesn't matter. It's hot in this overpacked hall. The oldest trick in the political handbook is to over-book a tiny venue to enhance the crowd size. It certainly has worked. We're bustin' at the gords here! But now as I look across the hall, G.O.P. honcho Mavis Busiek has a panicked look on her face as she attempts to accommodate more attendees.

No comments: