Tuesday, November 13, 2007

KY3: Deputy recounts finding Rowan Ford's body

In the continuing, and somewhat unseemly, battle of trumpeted exclusives aired by Springfield television stations in the continuing coverage of the brutal rape and murder of nine-year-old Rowan Ford of Stella, KY3 has an interview with McDonald County Sheriff Jacob Boles, who discovered Rowan's body in a sinkhole Friday:

"I shined the light down to see my footing and that's when I saw her." Seven days after Rowan disappeared, Deputy Jacob Boles and another officer found her body at the bottom of this sinkhole in the hills of McDonald County. Little did he know each day driving to and from work to go search for the girl that he was actually passing by the very place where she was hidden, just a half mile from his home. He had briefly checked the site before, but went back after getting a tip that David Spears, Rowan's stepfather, told a friend about the location. "He supposedly pointed that area out to this man he was riding with that that would be a good place to hide a body."


As noted Monday in the Turner Report, Neosho Daily News Managing Editor John Ford interviewed the man who provided the McDonald County Sheriff's Department with the tip, Newton County Coroner Mark Bridges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the saddest cases I have ever seen. I lived in Springfield and Joplin years ago (and for a time, Bentonville) and worked at KY3 in the late 60's.

I just spent a wonderful week with my family that still lives in Missouri at Tablerock Lake in June.

I have such wonderful memories and this sweet little girl's murder really got to me.

RIP Rowan. You deserved so much more.