Monday, May 18, 2009

Sports Radio leaving Joplin?

The Missouri Radio Message Board notes that Zimmer Radio's 1230 AM, KZYM, is dropping its sports format as of Aug. 3, and becoming yet another talk radio station, complete with Dave Ramsay, Laura Ingraham, and Dennis Miller.

I hate to see Joplin without a sports talk format, but if Dennis Miller is moving from Zimmer's KZRG to the sister station, it would sure be nice to have local programming like Mark Kinsley's Afternoon Newswatch restored.

Now with KQYX 1450 also having a talk format, we will have three in Joplin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine this is done for revenue purposes only. While losing the ESPN format will be tough, worse, Joplin loses its local sports voice on the radion, primarily the MSSU Lions and the Joplin Eagles, not to mention the St. Louis Cardinals.

This is sad. I can only hope another radio station moves quickly to fill the vacuum.

Anonymous said...

Another good reason for not living in Joplin.

I have two words for you: satellite radio.

Derek Paul said...

This upsets me to no end. I can't imagine why The Fan would be replaced with more right-wing BS. I just hope, if anything, they continue to broadcast STL Cardinals games.