Saturday, November 22, 2014
Top 10 fun things your Joplin R-8 tax dollars are buying
In fact, I will be discussing, some of the more expensive things listed on the district bills in a later post or two, but here is my top 10 list of questionable items that your money is buying.
10. $1,360 for charter bus rental for the Joplin High School grand opening
9. $1,646.95 for Dewey Combs sign for Junge Field
8. $500 to College Heights Christian Church as payment for "lost pipe and drape" during opening day ceremonies
7. $6,667.95 to bring in trainers from Educators for Social Responsibility. The training cost $4,593.95, while an additional $2,104 covered their travel expenses
6. $44.39 to Embassy Embroidery for Bright Futures grey polos
5. $357 for a "large piece of ribbon, listed under "opening celebrations"
4. $164.65 to the Rib Crib to feed the Board of Education before the October 21 meeting
3. $350 Rotary Club dues for Bright Futures coordinator Melissa Winston
2. $18,535 to the Core Collaborative for Common Core training and travel costs (Aren't we supposed to be replacing Common Core with Missouri standards?)
1. $176.29 to College Station Daylight Donuts, for donuts, coffee at the administration building