Monday, January 04, 2016

Ron Richard: I'm not a grumpy old man

In an interview with St. Louis Public Radio, Senate President Pro Tem Ron Richard, R-Joplin, previews the way he will run the Senate this session and refutes the notion that he is a "grumpy old man."

“Some think I’m a grumpy old man (and those) people are somewhat scared to approach me.

I’m pretty serious about what I’m doing. I’m not as unapproachable as many would say and I’m not as grumpy (as they would say), (but I get) a little frustrated sometimes with the lobbyists and bureaucrats, (and) if they’d let us do our jobs we’d be a lot better off.

I’m a little older than most in this building, and with social media this whole thing has changed. … We’ve got so many (Senate) members that are glued to their phones and the perception of what people are saying about them, rather than just doing their business and their job. … I’m walking down the hallway and I get a few people run into me because they’re too busy looking on their cell phones, and I’ll chastise them and tell them to pay attention to what you’re doing.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Senate members who care and pay attention to what the people who elected them think. Maybe Ron is the one who should be paying attention.

Anonymous said...

If Ron Richards thinks he ISN'T a grumpy old man, maybe he needs to have a chat with those of us who have been forced to wait on him in a service job. He's a grumpy old man with an ego the size of Texas, and doesn't know that there is a difference between having a service job and being his personal servant.