Friday, January 06, 2017

Cleaver: I will not stop fighting for the best future for my constituents

(From Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver)

The 115th Congress was sworn in this week. With each new Congress there is a chance of a new beginning, a chance to fight once again for the wellbeing of our citizens. 

As I took the oath to begin my seventh term as a member of the House, representing Missouri’s 5th District, I thought to myself, there is so much I want to achieve for the American people and I have been graciously given another chance, another opportunity to do so.

It is no secret that this might be a difficult transition, but I have tremendous respect for the office of the Presidency and I will conduct business with nothing less. I will not, however, stop fighting for the best future for my constituents. 

 I hope that we can come together, both sides of the aisle and work to create new opportunities for our communities. From creating and sustaining jobs, to improving the education and the welfare of our children, to developing new housing for rural families, and to advancing equal pay for women, it is clear that we have a challenging year ahead of us.

I have no doubt the new and returning members of the 115th Congress are ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work, as am I.

No comments: