Friday, April 28, 2017

Cleaver on first 100 days: My thoughts have ranged from disbelief to worry

(From Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver)

This week, I’ve been asked this questions multiple times, “What do you think about President Trump’s first 100 days in office?” I can tell you my thoughts have ranged from disbelief to worry.

This administration has done little to improve the lives of the American people and his budget proposals would put an end to programs that would help the most vulnerable.

In the first 100 days, there has not been a single job-creating bill and the U.S. economy is moving at an even slower pace, the slowest quarter in three years.

I am still waiting to see what the President has done to improve the lives of minorities in this country. His executive orders have not only isolated and insulted minorities but have also fostered an atmosphere of fear. The President’s travel ban targeting Muslims and immigrants from specific countries was discriminatory and immoral and has since been put on hold by the federal courts.

The business interests, both his and his family’s, greatly concerns me. The line between his business interests and what’s best for America could be easily crossed. Even his refusal to release his tax returns while proposing tax cuts should be questioned.

Millions of people will suffer if the Affordable Care Act is repealed, especially seniors and people with pre-existing health conditions, yet this administration is determined to repeal no matter the consequences.

Though I did agree with the President’s call for a military strike against Syria, Congress should have had an opportunity to discuss it beforehand. After all, that is the way the law was written.

These first 100 days have not been easy but I am hopeful that in the next 100 days my colleagues and I in Congress are able to put aside tribal politics and work together for the American people.

No comments: