Wednesday, April 19, 2017

McCaskill: Tell Congress to pass legislation to end campus sexual assault

(From Sen. Claire McCaskill)

As a mother, I know that campus sexual assault is every parent’s nightmare. But when I talk about this issue as a senator, I still hear way too many voices asking, “Is this really a big deal?”
Well, when about one in five young women is dragged into that nightmare and sexually assaulted during her college years, I say yes. This is a very, very big deal.
That’s why this month I reintroduced the Campus Accountability and Safety Act alongside a bipartisan coalition of senators. We need due process for victims. We need transparency. And with so many students at risk, we can’t waste any more time.
Will you stand with me and add your name to urge Congress to pass this important bill to protect our students from sexual assault?
Everyone, no matter their party lines, understands that something’s wrong when so many of our students are either the victims of or live in fear of sexual assault. And it violates every measure of common sense that our colleges and universities aren’t responding.
So I’m proud of this united effort to make schools more accountable for student safety. We’ve got the momentum, but I need your help to get it across the finish line.
Will you stand with me and tell Congress to pass legislation to end campus sexual assault? Add your name here.
Thanks for speaking out to protect students.

No comments: