Sunday, May 05, 2024

It's my fault- Turner Report comments are out of control and I'm making changes


There's no way of getting around it.

It's my fault the comments on Turner Report posts are out of control

I have excused my role in the matter numerous times by using the dodge "if you think those comments are bad, you should see the ones I deleted."

And while it is true I have deleted racist comments and others filled with hate for one minority or another, I have allowed comments that threaten to turn this blog into another KZRG.

No more.







Over the past several months, Turner Report readers have seen an increasing number of the following types of comments:

-Commenters who feel the need to insert politics into posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with politics. That has especially been the case with posts about sex crimes. I haven't seen any reliable evidence that more Republicans or more Democrats commit sex crimes. For the most part, I am sure the commenters don't know the people who have been charged and have no idea what their political affiliations are.

-Commenters who attack other commenters and don't offer opinions on the posts. Sometimes, I get the feeling they haven't even read the posts. Offer an opinion. If you're responding to another commenter's opinion, do so without name calling. If your argument isn't good enough to persuade anyone, you're not going to help it by calling names.

-People who copy and paste long comments on numerous posts. If you didn't make your point the first time, the 32nd time is hardly going to do the trick.

-People who feel the need to put profanity in their comments. For the most part, I've deleted these posts, but I have published some profane comments. Usually, the profanity isn't even necessary and often, the comments are excellent, so I went ahead and published them. My inclination now is to simply delete the comments. I would love to be able to contact the commenters and tell them what they need to do in order to have their comments published, but nearly all of them are anonymous.







-Trolls. These commenters have only one goal- to provoke readers. I don't mind provocative comments- at least not when the opinions provoke thought. The comments I am citing are ones that come from people who make themselves feel good by bringing down others. These comments, almost always made anonymously, are the kind that make many news organizations' Facebook page comments unreadable.

As of this moment, I am doing what I should have done along ago and what many of you have been telling me for months.

If a comment adds to the conversation and follows these guidelines, I'll publish it. If not, it's gone.

Now to address a couple of things I expect to hear.

This will not violate anyone's First Amendment rights. The First Amendment prohibits the government from infringing on your freedom of expression- this is my personal blog. I love to have comments, even when the viewpoints that are expressed are completely opposed to my own. But I have every right to have guidelines for the comments.

Also, I'm sure some of you will suggest that I stop allowing anonymous comments. That's not going to happen.

While it's true that it's easier for people to make comments when their name isn't attached to them, I am hoping the steps I outlined above will take care of many of the problems associated with anonymous comments.

Another reason, however, is that it has been my experience that often people are unable to comment under their own names because they have a legitimate fear of losing their jobs or causing problems for their families, but they have information that needs to reach the public.







Additionally, as national events have made clear, there are people out there who have no qualms about targeting people whose views, whether political or otherwise, differ from theirs.

I've often received ideas and tips through these anonymous comments that led me to look into things that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Longtime readers of this blog know this is not the first time I've had to deal with excesses in the comments, nor is it the first time I've taken too long to respond to the problem.

I'm interested in your comments on this shift in policy.







I thank those of you who have continued to make comments that have contributed to the conversation, even at the risk of being shouted down by the trolls. I'm hoping that by taking these steps, I'll have more comments that legitimately add to the conversation.

I know full well I may lose readers by making these changes, but if the success of the Turner Report depends on allowing the kinds of comments I described above, then this blog doesn't deserve to exist.

Thank you for your patience. The Turner Report, like its author, is still a work in progress.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. The political rants are ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Randy!

Anonymous said...

I thank you for your Joplin and area news! This is a great service you do for our community. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Randy, the majority of your Readers and Commentors will appreciate these changes.

You have several that just make unflattering remarks about other's comments while never reading or commenting directly on the articles, just to provoke an argument. You find these individuals trying to hijack the Blogs, while never adding any real thought-out content. This is the new game that people play, grammar police, puppet masters, selfish individuals always looking at how to ruin what true commentors want to express on the Article Content.

Whether they make a Positive or Negative comments on the Article Content is fine they just need to at least comment on the Article and not on someone else's Comments all the time.

We are also seeing this all over Youtube, by groups called, Auditors who believe that their movement promotes transparency and open government, while critics have argued that audits are typically confrontational, criticizing some tactics as forms of intimidation and harassment. Many opponents of the tactics and legal understandings of auditors refer to auditors as "frauditors".

Again, this is a positive step forward.








Anonymous said...

I'm here for it!
Thank you Randy.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree and glad you are doing this! Too many bullies with personal agendas. Will be nice to have some filtered out.

Anonymous said...

I'm out. Will look for a blog that respects 1st amendment rights, not a filtered, over controlled Sunday school class that protects the weak from getting their feelings hurt.

Randy said...

I hope you find a blog that can help you understand that this has nothing to do with the First Amendment. A little education can go a long way. Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Randy, very nicely said. These so-called Constitutional Auditors / Frauditors, hide behind their First Amendment Rights to bully, intimidate, criticize, and harass everyone under their use of Freedom of Speech, no matter if it violates other's or not, just as long as they control the conversation. This is definitely not what the First Amendment is all about, but this is their standard operating procedure as they try to impose their Rights on others.


Anonymous said...

I am very new to this forum. I have to say one of the first things I noticed was the very odd politacally driven nonsense posts. I sort of wondered why they were allowed to be posted to be begin with. I will probably not read or post on this forum again. It all seems a little mixed up to be honest.

Anonymous said...

I really like your editorial, I look forward to reading it daily! Thank goodness for the the opportunity to read and once in awhile post! Thank you 🙏 Randy and God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Randy our Host and Moderator!

I believe that these new changes can bring about a better dialogue of viewpoints to this forum or opposing viewpoints without the hate speech, without the continual bullying and personal agendas or individuals only commenting on the comments and not the articles in the first place.

We may all have differing opinions, but we can be civil and treat each other with basic respect. Now is not the time to leave the forum, but a time to express your opinions on the articles in a thought-provoking manner, without fear of being criticized or harassed. Where everyone's comments are relevant.


Anonymous said...

You're right, you are pretty late to the party on this one but it will be easier to read for sure. I think you'll find out pretty quickly that controversy and negativity get clicks and you will see a big drop. Hopefully over time it will build again..but then again few people seem interested in civil debate anymore. Was actually surprised you began allowing profanity in posts. Seems that's the new way though, decorum and civility are out the window. Open vulgarity and profanity around children and women are just the new way of life.

Patrick Irwin said...

Just wanted to say that I have been reading your articles for a very long time. It really is the only news source in this area. I always look forward to the comment section. While most of the comments offer an interesting thought, or two, some are just ridiculous. But that is what makes it entertaining.


Thank you for what you do.

Anonymous said...

It is a sad situation that Genuine News and Factual Reporting needs to have controversy and negativity tied to its comments to be relevant in our Society. Do we need to bully, provoke, and harass to make a point or can we all agree to disagree, without yelling and a threat of physical violence? What does this say about us? Are we losing our ability to solve problems or issues in a civil manner?


Anonymous said...

@2:35 This has nothing to do with the first amendment. This is Randys house, follow his rules or kick rocks. I doubt anyone will be missing you.

Anonymous said...

I will second that thought! No one will be missing 2:35PM and the constant attacks he makes on contributors to further his bullying pulpit. He would never comment on the articles just the commentors. Always thinking he can say anything based on his understanding of the First Amendment and not on the set guidelines and rules of this Blog. I am sure he can find another Social Media Platform to express his negative and uncensored diatribe.

Anonymous said...

This remains the best place for Joplin news the traditional players simply won’t cover due to the advertising dollars.

Thank you Randy.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand where you are coming from. I've seen alot of political comments that are unrelated to the article. Most of the time I find it humorous. I do want to say that I don't read your blog because of the comments. I read because you have unbiased articles and things I don't see on other news sources. The comments are at the bottom of articles and don't change what the article is about. So it really shouldn't matter what people comment. Your news is what I'm here to read.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that...lol

Anonymous said...

Right On!

Anonymous said...

👍

Anonymous said...

I have probably been guilty of pushing the limits over the years. I recognize that. We all have emotional responses to stories and comments. I appreciate your service very much because it's news that other local services won't provide. So, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Randy!!!

Anonymous said...

Randy, have you quit posting the Joplin Police reports? Has the new PD Chief and city counsil stopped publishing them to make Joplin look better?

Anonymous said...

We appreciate you Randy!

Anonymous said...

Randy, I have an idea. Maybe a weekly post addressing the constitution. Start with the first amendment and a quick summary for those that will choose to not read it before commenting. Maybe then some of these people will understand that you not posting their comments is not an infringement or even censoring. Just simply you trying to keep the comments on track and meaningful. It saddens me the amount of people that don’t understand or choose to ignore our basics. And at the end of the day, it’s your blog, your rules. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

As a defense of liberty, I feel it’s unfair to portray all the Freeman philanderers in such a way!

They need to protect themselves and their 3rd wives like everyone else!!!!!!

lol.

Anonymous said...

Randy tell me your a Democrat without telling me your a Democrat
However this is your platform so fair enough, but this also goes for other platforms like X so no crying about Elon folks, he is for free speech good bad or ugly. We are all adults we don’t need anyone to moderate our comments.

Anyhow did you see where Joe Biden read the teleprompter and said PAUSE. That’s the Dems idol.

Anonymous said...

Dems don't idolize Biden. Ever see Biden flags flying from a Dodge Ram that's behind on payments?

Anonymous said...

Pause

Anonymous said...

I've read your blog for many years, and in that time it's been apparent that a small minority has been responsible for most of the insults in the comment section. From belittling Christians, insinuating everyone in this part of Missouri is a hick, and that people that aren't in the same political party are uneducated rubes is monotonous and boring. I hope this works out well for all and wish you the best of luck. Thanks for reporting articles that can't be found elsewhere.