Saturday, January 09, 2016
Five reasons why you should subscribe to the Joplin Globe
In the flyer that is to the right of my computer, I still have to blink twice when I see that you can get the area's newspaper of record for a measly $190 a year and that is described as "best value" on the flyer.
Considering that it was more than $200 a year the last time I wrote about this, I certainly have to agree. What a bargain!
You can get the Sunday edition alone, one newspaper a week for $60 for six months or you can pay $10 a month to have the paper delivered on Sundays.
The monthly price for the Globe is $15.98, for seven-day delivery.
And what do you get for this price. Consider these crucial reasons to give your money to the Joplin Globe:
1. You can read about how any investigation that embarrasses local officials, such as the state audits of the city and the school district and the Loraine Report are "flawed."
2. You can read the columns of Anson Burlingame and Geoff Caldwell on a regular basis.
3. You can see "investigative" reporting that proves that friends of the Globe who are in important decision-making positions are right and anyone who would dare question them is a menace to society. (example: Nearly all.of us thought the Joplin R-8 School District losing more than 100 teachers a year was a bad thing until the Globe wrote that it was perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.)
4. You have a veteran editor like Carol Stark who knows how to make decisions on what the readers need to know and what they would be better off not knowing- Example- Almost anything that was written in the Loraine Report. Second example- Information about former master developer Wallace Bajjali's background of lawsuits, bankruptcies, and fraud allegations.
5. The Globe gives you the privilege to vote on the "Favorites of the Four States." Cynics might say the only reason this annual voting takes place to give the Globe a chance to make money off the finalists. Others say the Favorites of the Four States is Globe journalism at its finest.
$190 a year. Some would call it a bargain at twice that amount....and then break out in uncontrollable laughter.
For a better bargain, make this comparison. While the Globe charges $190 a year for a subscription, a subscription to the Turner Report/Inside Joplin blogs cost $30 a year.
While the Globe charges $15.98 per month, you can subscribe to the Turner Report/Inside Joplin for $3 a month.
While the Globe decided a couple of decades ago, to charge exorbitant amounts to run complete obituaries on its pages, Inside Joplin Obituaries considers them news and runs them free of charge.
While the Joplin Globe provides a voice for the privileged in the community, the Turner Report/Inside Joplin has stood up for the taxpayers since the blogs began.
Anyone wanting to find something that has run on the Turner Report or one of the Inside Joplin blogs can use the search engine at the top of the page and find the post quickly Anyone who wants to find something that has run in the Joplin Globe is usually out of luck.
Please consider taking a subscription or making a contribution of any amount to help the Turner Report/Inside Joplin to continue to grow in 2016. You can use the PayPal buttons below, or if you would prefer not to use PayPal or a credit card, you can send a check to 2306 E. 8th, Apt. G, Joplin, MO 64801.