Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Gutteridge hanging in there at 95


Former Chicago White Sox manager Don Gutteridge has climbed into the top 10 among oldest living former major league players, according to an article by Jim Henry in the Pittsburg Morning Sun. (Thanks to John Hall with the KOM Flash Report for mentioning the article. I had missed it.) Gutteridge recently celebrated his 95th birthday:

Two years ago, Gutteridge was No. 24, according to the list "Who's Alive and Who's Dead.'' Last year he moved up to No. 16.

"I want to be on that list for a long time,'' Gutteridge said. "I'm doing real good.''


The article talks about Gutteridge's long history in the game, including playing in the first of only two all-Missouri World Series, in 1944 when the St. Louis Cardinals defeated the St. Louis Browns. Gutteridge played for the Browns in that series. He played in his final World Series two years later, as a member of the Boston Red Sox, again losing to the Cardinals. Gutteridge began his major league career as a Cardinal.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. Gutteridge when I was at the Lamar Democrat in the 1980s. It was one of my favorite interviews.

No comments: