Sunday, December 22, 2019

Kay Hively: Some thoughts on Christmas movies

With Christmas just around the corner, I have many thoughts about this most Holy day.

When I was small, it bothered me that my birthday was close to Christmas. I felt I didn’t get enough attention because everyone was focus on Christmas. Now of course that doesn’t seem to matter at all.

Today I find myself more focused on others at this time of year. I worry about those in need, people without a permanent place to stay, children who go to bed hungry, those who have no warm clothes, those without a warm bed, those who are without friends or families.

I have always vowed that if I could I would provide poor children with their own sleeping bag to keep them warm all winter. I would leave a box of food on the porches of the poor and I like to dream of what I would put in the box.








But I do what I can and hope for the best.

On a lighter note, I enjoy the old Christmas-themed movies. Naturally I like the old ones. There are many around but ever year or so I discover a new one.

I used to like the Bing Crosby movies that were mostly in color, but I have come around to the black and white ones as there seems to be more substance to them.

One of my newest favorites is “The Shop Around the Corner,” which stars Jimmy Stewart. The movie is set in Budapest, Hungry, and centers around a small shop and the people who work there.

The movie has a good story and some great characters, many portrayed by bit players who movie fan recognizes but cannot name.

Jimmy Stewart is also the star of one of the most popular Christmas flicks ever made. He has a great performance in “It’s a Wonderful Life,” one of the most powerful Christmas stories ever filmed.

Other Christmas movies I enjoy are most of the “Christmas Carol” movies, “Christmas in Connecticut,” “The Bells of Saint Mary,” and “An Affair to Remember.”

But just between you and me, I like Christmas and I try to keep the Christmas spirit all year long. So, Merry Christmas.

(Kay Hively is a historian, author and former editor, reporter and columnist for the Neosho Daily News and Neosho Post.)

No comments: