Sunday, December 08, 2019

Kim Frencken: It's that time of the year

It's late when I get home. I had no inspiration before going to school so you might as well not hope for any last minute ideas. Everything is frozen. Even my brain.

 No tempting smells from the crockpot greet me as I walk through the door. Nothing. And I'm supposed to think of a meal that will be on the table in under an hour. Something healthy. Really?

So, what am I to do? I can't always be organized enough to plan ahead. My schedule catches up with me and before you know it, we're having take-out. Again. Besides, I get tired of fixing the same thing over and over.

Then I go for a doctor visit. I need to exercise more and eat healthier. When? How? Take time to exercise so that I will have more energy. Where do I find the energy to exercise? Regardless of knowing that eating healthier and exercising is good for me, I can't seem to get myself into a routine to consistently accomplish either one.








In the meantime, I'm run down and susceptible to anything and everything. Even GermX can't protect me from the germs floating freely around the classroom. Remember they only kill about 99% of germs. Somehow that 1% finds me.

Taking care of yourself makes sense. It isn't easy. It may be in the form of a short walk one day, early bed time the next day, and eating fresh fruit with lunch. I've learned that it doesn't have to be radical. I can't do everything. I can only do so much. Instead of beating myself up and quitting, I try to incorporate one healthy thing per day. And that sure beats catching the flu.

And... it's that time again! See you in January!

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational products, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

No comments: