Sunday, December 29, 2019

Nancy Hughes: The super glue of love

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, not any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)

When I made the choice to become serious in my writing career, my good friend Sherri gave me a reminder of that decision: a card holder for my desk with the dog Snoopy from Charlie Brown sitting on a patch of green grass in front of a yellow typewriter. Beside him is an envelope with a clip attached to the top of a tiny five-inch metal pole to hold my business card.

Whenever I get discouraged or unable to think of my next topic to write on, all I have to do is to look at Snoopy and be reminded of the prayers that went into my decision to write and I am revived instantly.

A few years ago I was at that exact point: the ideas were not flowing and I could feel frustration building up so I glanced at my little dog and his typewriter. I couldn’t help my “Oh no!” as I instantly saw that Snoopy had no head!








Arms and body, yes. Typewriter still in place, yes also. But no head! Frantically I moved papers and files and found the head on its side. I was afraid that it could not be fixed but ten minutes and half a superglue tube later, the head was reattached. Thankfully the broken damage was repaired.

Do you ever feel like you are broken and damaged in such a way that the Lord cannot fix you – nor would He want to?

There is absolutely nothing that we can do that will cause Jesus to say “This one is permanently broken. There’s no way to fix her so I will toss her out.”

“But wait,” you tell me. “I stole some money” or “I had an abortion” or “I had an affair.” And you think “Surely the Lord can’t forgive me. Surely He sees the damage and cannot fix me. Why would He want anything to do with me?”

Look at our promise in Romans 8:38-39. Nothing, absolutely nothing can separate us from the love of our Father. Read this Scripture aloud but in place of “nor anything else in all creation,” speak the sin in your life.

His love is real; His forgiveness is real. We read in I John 1:9 that when we confess our sins to Him, He takes those fragile, fractured pieces of our lives and He heals every break with a “superglue” of love.

Father, I confess sin in my life that I have allowed to keep me from you. Thank you for forgiving me and healing my broken life. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever felt like you have done something in your life so terrible that God could not possibly forgive you?

Did you share your concern with a Christian friend and ask her to pray for you?

Apply

Make a list of the things in your life that you have felt Jesus could not or would not extend forgiveness to you.

Read Romans 8:38-39 aloud and speak each entry on your list in that Scripture. Ask the Lord to forgive you, accept His forgiveness and love, and then tear the list into pieces and throw it away.

Power

Romans 8:38-39 (NIV) “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, not any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I John 1:9 (NIV) “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

Romans 8:1 (NIV) “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus . . .”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: