Thursday, October 12, 2006

Illegally owned guns used in Memorial Middle School shootings

An affidavit filed in U. S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri indicates the gun used by a Memorial Middle School seventh grader at the school Monday was illegally owned by his father.
The affidavit was signed by ATF agent Angela K. Kaighin and was entered into the court record as the boy's father, convicted felon, Gregory Lynn White, 44, Joplin, was charged with felony weapons charges in U. S. District Court. A public defender was appointed for White during a hearing held today in Springfield. White's arraignment is scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31, in Courtroom 2601, United States Courthouse, 222 N. John Q. Hammons Parkway, Springfield. White is free on bond.
After White's son was arrested Monday, the affidavit says, he was taken to the county's juvenile detention facility. "Gregory White, the father of the juvenile shooter, was together with his son at the juvenile facility, was upset, and was overheard yelling at his son. Gregory White was overheard to question his son about his 'keys.'
"A Joplin police officer asked White why he was concerned about keys. White replied that he was concerned about keys to his gun cabinet which were missing. White went on to explain that his gun cabinet was in his room and that his son must have taken the keys to it. During the interview of the juvenile shooter, he was accompanied by his father. The juvenile stated the firearm he used in the shooting belonged to his father, who did not then deny ownership of the weapon. When officers responded to the White residence, a consent search was granted by Norma Leslie White (mother of the juvenile and wife of Gregory), Norma White stated the firearms inside the residence belonged to her husband.
"She continued to state the key to the gun safe was on a key ring hanging in the master bedroom. Seven additional firearms and ammunition were discovered inside a locked safe in the master bedroom of the residence. A large bag of ammunition was also discovered on the upper level of the shed located in the rear yard of the residence."

According to the affidavit, the guns were two Norinco Mak 90s Sporter rifles, a Daisy .22 caliber rifle Model 2201, a Mossberg shotgun Model 500AG, a Companhia shotgun Model 151, an Armscor rifle Model 16, and an Intratec pistol Model Tec 22. All of the guns came into Missouri from out of state, the affidavit said.

An investigation showed White had been convicted of two felonies: burglary on Sept. 19, 1980, in Orange County, Fla., and possession of a controlled substance (mephamphetamine) Dec. 2, 1988, in San Bernardino County, Calif.

Felons cannot legally own firearms.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy, you are being inconsistent again. This story was first reported by the Globe, Daily, AP, KOAM, KODE, KSN, CNN, and basically everyone but you. Why aren't you giving them credit? Hypocrit!



(Before you post a defensive response. Chill. Take a joke.)

Randy said...

I can truthfully say I had not seen the Globe and Daily coverage. I did flip over and see the TV coverage at 10 p.m. I came across it while I was going through my usual federal court rounds. Since it appears the information came from a press conference, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I will try to watch more closely next time.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the local media than your federal court rounds. Nobody is reading this blog to read your findings in the federal court blotter.

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord, Mr. White was exercising his 2nd Amendment right to possess firearms.

Who better, but a former meth addict, to protect us from the communists, terrorists, and all the minorities in Joplin?

Anonymous said...

I have many friends who have felonies on their records, who still own firearms... I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think they should have the right to protect their families or to go shoot some clay pigeons on the weekend just like anyone else. And remember, just because you have a felony on your record doesn't mean you did the crime, in fact I have two good friends who did time for things they never did.

Anonymous said...

"I have many friends who have felonies on their records, who still own firearms... I see absolutely nothing wrong with it."

A prime example of part of what's wrong with our country, no respect for the law. Jack, law says convicted felons cannot own firearms, that's what's wrong with them owning them. I'm sure there are those out there that see nothing wrong with carrying a weapon into a school and shooting off a few rounds, but that doesn't make them right, does it? Their "right" was lost as soon as they decided to commit a felony. If they indeed didn't commit it (I've rarely met a felon who said they did), then they apparently need a better attorney or I would assume the felony conviction was removed from their record as soon as it was determined they didn't commit the crime.

Anonymous said...

Not everything is so black and white...

I know for a fact both these guys in my above example are not guilty. The first one did time for a probation violation, after which they proved the crime that broke his violation was committed by someone else... And yes, he could have it removed from his record, but it costs to much for a lawyer to get it fixed, but I'm sure he will in the future. And I happened to be with the guy the night the other crime was committed, and for reasons I can't speak of he decided to do the time for another good friend. This is what real friends and good people do when in bad situations, they work things out the best they can and make sacrifices for one another. Again, these things happen all the time.

Believe it or not, the US legal system sucks... And most cops suck even more. Simple as that.

Anonymous said...

My God: The kid has such a terrible life that he goes in with a gun at a Middle School and all his Dad can do when he sees him in jail is YELL at him?

I think I would be wondering what the hell would make my son want to do something.

Then I think I would wonder if maybe, just maybe the fact that I keep an armory full of weapons around the house--and my own behavior--might be a contributory factor to what just went on.

Anonymous said...

I personally own upward 100 firearms, possibly more, as I've not counted lately... But it hardly means I'm going to run out and kill people.

But I think you're onto something, the kids upbringing likely has a lot to do with this. I really don't see how the guns played much of a roll... Had they not been available he would probably have just used a knife or bomb. And I agree his father should be accountable for the actions taken, as should the juvenile. But lets not blame all this on the 'illegal guns'.

I feel we are a product of our environment, and his must not have been so great, imo.

Anonymous said...

...guns played much of a ROLE...

Great. Armed and illiterate. A powerful combination.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, piss off.