Monday, October 09, 2006

Some thoughts about the Memorial shooting

There probably isn't a student, parent, teacher or administrator in the Joplin R-8 School District (and probably neighboring districts, as well) who hasn't spent considerable time today thinking about the shooting incident at Memorial Middle School. My teaching career began four months after Columbine, and it was still a major topic for students though it was a different school year. But the discussion at that time was about something that took place in Colorado. Last week, it was in Pennsylvania. Now, it has hit home, though fortunately, with no casualties.
When our principal's voice came over the intercom this morning, telling us to immediately check our e-mails, it was obvious something was up. That was when South Middle School's faculty discovered what had happened to cour colleagues at Memorial and to their students.
After a quick check, and following the lockdown procedures at our school (primarily taken to allay the natural fears of some of our parents), which we tried to do quietly and unobtrusively while continuing our lessons. I first heard students talking about it in the halls between classes before fourth hour. Apparently, a few had been contacted by their parents, told what was going on at Memorial, and naturally, began spreading the word.
It was a strange atmosphere. Students always react when word of these shootings is broadcast, but this was something that had happened to their friends, and in their town.
During my third-hour planning period, I will admit I did little planning today. I would guess the same held true for most of our faculty. I spent much of the hour checking out the reporting from KZRG, the Joplin Globe and the Joplin Daily. At least when you are looking up information, you have the feeling that you are doing something useful. The Globe was rapidly spilling out copy, much of it appearing on the internet looking unedited, and many of the assertions made early changing as more facts became available.
The Globe had an early beat because of the presence at the site of employee Blake Spivak, who offered a first-hand account of the atmosphere outside of the school. The Daily took a more responsible approach, not going after teen comments.
After school, as I drove home, I listened to KZRG's coverage and heard one of the dj's say that since the seventh grader who fired the gun reportedly had not had previous troubles at the school, that showed that normal people could also be responsible for school shootings.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone brings a gun into a school building, that does not meet my definition of normal.
Finally, I watched the coverage of our three local television stations, which appeared to act responsibly.
Unfortunately, on all three stations, I heard that Governor Matt Blunt was offering the suggestion that teachers start packing guns. If that is the kind of leadership he plans to offer to prevent school violence, he hope he keeps any other sage advice he has to himself.
***
I was a bit taken aback, but I received four e-mails from Joplin residents who told me that today's situation at Memorial Middle School made them realize how much truth there was in Small Town News, my novel about what happens when the media crush hits an unprepared community." As in that book, I imagine there were many good guys in the media and a few who took the opposite approach. The readers gave different variations of that sentiment, but it caught me offguard.
***
Finally, a word about the administrators and faculty who were at Memorial this morning: If kids are looking for heroes, they don't need to look much further than Assistant Superintendent Stephen Doerr and Principal Steve Gilbreth, and I am sure there are others among the faculty and staff at that school who would have stepped forward if the situation had presented itself.
Today's incident and the shootings in recent weeks are not due to problems in education, public or private...the problem is in our society.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

...heard one of the dj's say that since the seventh grader who fired the gun reportedly had not had previous troubles at the school, that showed that normal people could also be responsible for school shootings.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone brings a gun into a school building, that does not meet my definition of normal.


Very true. In my opinion it just goes to show how troubled someone can get before anyone notices.

Anonymous said...

Wondered how long it would take for you to get a Small Town News plug into these tragedy. I'm surprised you weren't out there hawking your book to the out-of-town reporters.

Randy said...

I wondered how long it would take for some cheapshot artist to say something like that. I am sometimes amazed at the pettiness of a few of the people who read this blog. If you wondered about that, you must have made the same connection the people who e-mailed me made, one I might add, had not occurred to me until I received the first e-mail because I was a bit more concerned about the people at Memorial Middle School than I was about the book.

Anonymous said...

You're correct Michelle.

Our society is very surface-only oriented. If it looks pretty and says all the nice happy things we want to hear, we're happy. If it doesn't, we don't want to know and we react accordingly. Makes a happy world for us temporarily, but it doesn't do much for an overall happy world in the long run.

I wonder if he tried to tell someone that he was having problems. If so, I wonder if he was told to toughen up (which he may have tried to do?), told he would grow out of it, or possibly ignored.

Any way you look at it, we were very lucky yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I do have to wonder, though, what if any impact some of our forms of "entertainment" may have had on his actions. You would like to think that his parents controlled his tv and movie viewing habits and the nintendo/sega/computer/etc. games he owned and played. But maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Randy--glad to hear everyone is safe in Joplin and wanted to share in interesting story:

As the first battalions of soldiers headed off to World War I their commanders were all returning the same concerns to Army leaders: "The men are trigger shy---won't shoot the enemy."
After dozens of these messages it was determined that the problem was not the men, but the training targets that were used.
The round "Target Store" looking targets were swapped out and human looking stuffed dummies were put in their place. This eliminated the mental barrier the soldiers had when it came time to shoot another man.
Fast forward 90 years and now we use life-like video games to train our soldiers. The people who make those games also make the games our kids play.
To deny the connection is to deny history. There can be no argument made against the fact that, on some level, outside influences quell the natural anti-violence barriers we are born with. Nobody wants to admit it...nothing will be done about Hollywood, Music and of course video games...but look how much more violent society is since the introduction of these outside elements and the seeds they have planted.

Once again, glad to hear everyone down there is safe this morning.

Jimmy Siedlecki