Sunday, April 29, 2007

Barbre's versatility, showing at combine impressed Packers


Green Bay Packer fans were expecting Randy Moss to join the club Sunday. The star wide receiver ended up with the New England Patriots while the biggest target on the Packer radar as Missouri Southern State University and East Newton High School graduate Allen Barbre:

Barbre, at 6-foot-4 and 304 pounds, dominated at his tiny school in Joplin, Mo., and offensive line coach James Campen said Barbre (pronounced BAR'-burr) would be able to play either guard or tackle in the NFL.

"At the combine, we put him on the board, we bring a grease board and draw Xs and Os and asked him (blocking scheme) questions and that type of thing. His retention was excellent, so we don't see a problem with that," Campen said.

Barbre, named to AP's Little All-America team, even worked as a gunner on the school's punt coverage units.

"At first, it was kind of a joke, I thought, 'I won't be doing this,'" Barbre said of the position typically reserved for receivers or cornerbacks. "I ended up being pretty good at it and just done it the whole year. I made a lot of plays and just really enjoyed it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am from Lamar, MO and I have nothing to say about this young man except for congratulations. I played football against him when I graduated in 2001. I also went to MSSU. I believe that being from a very small town and a respectable, but small college, that this is a great accomplishment for a great young man.

T.O.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! That is an awesome accomplishment! Congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of covering some East Newton football while this young man was playing. Barbre is a class act, both on and off the gridiron. Congratulations on your achievement!
John Ford