Monday, March 04, 2013

McCaskill: Passage of Violence Against Women Act a win for Missouri women and families

(From Sen. Claire McCaskill)


It's been close to a year since the U.S. Senate voted with a bipartisan majority to renew the Violence Against Women Act. The vote was 68-31. Not surprising, since the legislation has traditionally been noncontroversial. Without the Violence Against Women Act, Missouri communities would lose resources to train prosecutors, police, and victim advocates. The law is also used to fund shelters across the state, as well as the Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Sadly, that legislation died last year in the U.S. House of Representatives, because House Republicans refused to vote on the Senate-passed bill.

Last month, the Senate passed the bill again. This time, we got even more support, 78 votes - including more than half of Senate Republicans. These days, few things in Washington get that kind of robust, bipartisan support. But again, the U.S. House refused to act.

So I took my case back to Missourians. I held events across the state over the past month, with Missouri law enforcement. I reminded folks as a former Jackson County Prosecutor when the law first passed, that I saw firsthand the positive impact it has on communities. That's why, when I spoke to Missourians in Kansas City, Columbia and St. Louis, I told them I wasn't about to needlessly abandon protections for our families.

Less than one week after I heard from folks back home, our public pressure worked-the U.S. House finally reversed course, approved our legislation, and sent the bill to the president's desk. And that's great news for families in Missouri and across the country. I sincerely hope that it shows an increased ability by Congress to break partisan gridlock and tackle the issues facing our country.

No comments: