Thursday, November 30, 2017

McCaskill: I am determined to restore DEA's ability to combat the opioid crisis

PHOTO: hosting a roundtable on DEA enforcement over opioid distributors who behave badly(From Sen. Claire McCaskill)

Earlier this week, I brought in national experts to share their perspectives on a very important piece of the opioid crisis.

Last year, Congress passed a bill that tied a key law enforcement agency's hands when it comes to holding drug distributors accountable for bad behavior.

I've introduced a bill in the Senate to repeal that law and correct the problem—an effort which has received the support of more than 40 state attorneys generals, and has bipartisan support. I knew it was important to hear from the men and women on the ground on this issue, and so I invited former officials from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to speak to the Senate and share how important enforcement capabilities are to addressing our nation's opioid epidemic.

I'm determined to restore the DEA's ability to combat this crisis, and make sure our law enforcement has the tools they need to do their jobs effectively. Learn more about my fight against the opioid crisis.

No comments: