Monday, October 08, 2018

Kim Frencken: Entitled teachers

In this age of entitlement, when so many of us spend our days with entitled kids and parents, I thought it would be nice to imagine what it would be like if the tables were turned. Entitled teachers.
That's right. Teachers with entitlement.

Let's start with a coffee bar. If I have to be up at the crack of dawn with a smile on my face, caffeine is a must. And, let's add some chocolate. What is a day without chocolate? Not much of a day! And did I forget to mention that we need time to enjoy our cappuccinos, lattes, and coffees?

Okay, now that my day is off to a good start let's talk about lunch duty. No. I need my entire lunch time to recharge. That means I need to spend time with people closer to my age. People that will understand my need to unwind. Lunch duty just adds to my stress, not to mention it is affecting my hearing and digestion. Eating in 10 minutes or less, while standing, is detrimental to my health.



Speaking of duties, let's re-negotiate recess duty. I don't deserve to stand outside in all types of weather watching kids yelling and screaming. I should be protected from this type of exposure. I spend priceless hours enriching the minds of our future generation. I spend extravagant amounts of time preparing these educational treasures. I need every minute of my school day to create these treasures. Recess duty? No way. Find someone else that isn't as entitled. Speaking of these lessons... I put my best effort into every lesson I create and I execute it with precise expertise. With that said, I am entitled to some compensation. Benefits and chocolate gratefully accepted.

Meetings are a thing of my past. Entitled people do not attend meetings. Not before school. After school. Or on professional development days. Entitled people do not need development. Entitled people are development. We are a work in progress. We are the epitome of professionalism. We don't need someone telling us what we already know.

Entitled teachers are entitled to larger budgets. A budgets that actually looks like a budget. A budget that will allow me to purchase all of the items that are necessary for my classroom. Not some minuscule amount that just anybody would receive, but something substantial. Something that will allow me to showcase my spectacular lessons. I would like to receive it before school closes for the surface. I need time to shop.

I'm sure there are more items that entitled teachers deserve, but I think this is a good start.

Yes, it is that time of year again!

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teachers are so underappreciated that it is really a crime. Well, some teachers. Calculate the time spent with the number and hours with them and it breaks down to a very small amount per student hour. So little that you would never get a babysitter much less one that would teach and care about the child's development. Entitled, yes they should be entitled and revered as in other countries, but in our country they are the enemy to some parents thinking. While they fight for raises the administration is getting top heavy and entitled as seen by Neosho and Joplin latest debacle. Our schools are poorly built because a entitled builder gets the bid every time. Schools in Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina were observed in our latest trip to have pitched roofs; not flat ones that are prone to leaking. What is it with the architects in this area or state that refuse to build acceptable structures. Safe rooms are good, but if you went into the hallway of many schools you would see concrete blocks for walls. Simple fix would be to pour concrete ceilings and during a storm the children just exit the room into a safe room without having to file down many lengths of hallways to a FEMA designed room. This newest ploy of safe rooms is one lacking in intelligent design. But let us start taking care of the real contact person with our children and give some of that entitlement reserved to administrators to our teachers and in turn expect the standards of excellence we had from our teachers of the 50-60's era.

Anonymous said...

Done with teaching. Now I have time to actually think about my own kids.