Many of you had one question after you read the account.
Why didn't I print the name of the person who was charged?
It was not an easy decision and I still debate with myself over whether it was the right one. I had another question, which I posed to Facebook friends- Why was this young man charged with a misdemeanor and not a felony?
The Newton County Prosecuting Attorney's office decision to file a misdemeanor charge was the reason why I left the name out. If it had been a felony, I would not have given it a second thought. The name would have been included.
There was nothing legally to stop me from printing the name. I was following my own policy. I thought the fact that this happened was news, the fact that it was charged as a misdemeanor and not a felony was news and the fact that the alleged abuse took place in or around the Neosho High School parking lot was news.
The 18-year-old's name is a public record. Just as I could have posted it, anyone can find it on online Newton County Circuit Court records. Most of the time I print the information that I find from online sources on the Turner Report and Inside Joplin, but editors always have to make decisions on what to print and what not to print.
This time I elected not to print.
If any other charges are filed, charges are filed on some other incident or if the charge is upgraded to a felony, I will revisit the decision.
I am interested in your comments.
I was pleased to see the Carthage Press is publishing again and am enjoying the idea that Carthage has gone from a community with no newspaper to a community with two of them.
I am hoping something similar happens in Neosho when GateHouse Media finishes destroying the Neosho Daily News. Hopefully that name, which dates back to the early 1950s, will also continue to exist.
As always, thanks to those of you who have helped the Turner Report/Inside Joplin by sharing posts, spreading the word, providing news tips, and of course, subscribing or making contributions. Your support is much appreciated.
The Turner Report/Inside Joplin provides an alternative source for area news that unearths stories that many people would prefer remain buried. While there are many who do not care for some of the information that is posted, I am thankful to those of you who have been here since the Turner Report began 15 years ago this month and those who have joined along the way.
Those who would like to contribute any amount, large or small to the Turner Report/Inside Joplin can do so by using the PayPal buttons below.
The Turner Report
1. Neosho High School student charged with sexual abuse after incident near school parking lot
2. Joplin man charged with having sex with four-year-old, making videos ordered held without bond
3. Fifth judge assigned to Jalen Vaden murder case after Nicholas recuses
4. Judge Crane recuses herself from Jalen Vaden murder case
5. Ace Mohr freed on his own recognizance, ordered to have no contact with alleged victim
6. Judge John Nicholas assigned to Jalen Vaden murder trial, trial no longer set for April
7. Joplin man held on $10,000 cash-only bond after being charged with ninth DWI
8. Court document: Former Joplin police officer chats about abducting, torturing, beating, sodomizing child
9. Text messages indicate Neosho mayor, city council violated Sunshine Law
10. Ruling: Former Joplin lawyer to remain on probation and can't vote next month
1. Tornado watch issued for Jasper County
2. Joplin man arrested for first degree assault after another man left bleeding, unconscious in roadway
3. Jasper man killed in crash near Carthage
4. Carthage Police: Do you know this woman?
5. 4th Street to be closed between Murphy Boulevard, Grand Avenue for two weeks
6. Jasper man arrested for arson after house fire on south Main
7. Carthage Police: Who are these people?
8. Elevated thunderstorm, wind damage risk tonight for southwest Missouri
9. Webb City, Carterville teens injured when car slams into fence
10. Three people injured in accident east of Carterville
Inside Joplin Obituaries
1. Richard Bunn
2. Betty Johnson
3. Fred Maynard
4. Alcy Roberts
5. Romona Williams
6. Pam Davis
7. Jerry Fly
8. Pamela Wilson
9. Elizabeth Sharbutt
10. Frank Walker
Help support the Turner Report/Inside Joplin by subscribing or contributing using the PayPal buttons below or by sending your contribution of any size, large or small to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt G, Joplin, MO. Thank you.