Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Kimberling City representative resigns, effective immediately, due to appointment to state board

(From Rep. Don Phillips, R-Kimberling City)

In a warp-speed turn of events, my world has changed considerably! I accepted a position in the executive branch that will afford me the opportunity to continue serving Missourians.

However, this new position requires my immediate resignation as State Representative. 

I am being appointed on Wednesday, October 10th by Governor Parson to head up the state’s Probation and Parole Board. This is a full-time job that I find challenging and I hope I will be able to make a difference for our state. Kathy and I will continue to reside in Kimberling City.



I’ve always had an interest in seeing an efficient way of managing our corrections system in our state. I will be working closely with the Director of Corrections to make our system more cost effective, purpose driven, and people focused. 

I was previously in the business of putting violators in jail, but it’s my opinion that alternatives to incarceration (in the right circumstances) are very valuable for many reasons. 

Drug courts, for instance have proven to be productive. I also think we need to properly prepare our prisoners that are eligible for parole for re-entry into society. That approach reduces recidivism and lessens the burden on our already overworked Probation and Parole officers. I welcome the challenges and the opportunity to serve in this new capacity.

(Note: Phillips is term-limited and is serving his eighth year in the House)

No comments: