Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Paul Richardson: Someone well worth calling a friend

This story began in our last edition and with a visit to an old friend. When we left you, my friend and I had just departed a gated community in California. As it turns out we caused quite a stir that continued for weeks.

That was a high point but not the beginning. I had been noticing certain attributes about my traveling partner. I knew that this acquaintance was a man of means, but he never acted like it. Most of the time he dresses in overalls and never puts on airs.

Since my dear mother was funding the entire trip, including all lodging, meals, fuel and whatever we wanted to do, my friend was free from any and all expense.

We had stopped in Flagstaff for breakfast during the journey toward California. The morning had just broken as we were parked in a rest area east of Flagstaff no more than a half-hour earlier. As we were taking breakfast, we struck up a conversation with some of the locals seated in the restaurant. 








The waitress was a pleasant young lady and quite good at her job. The conversation with the locals revealed that she was a single mom, struggling to get by, but willing to make whatever effort that might require. 

My friend began to direct questions to the waitress, which she gently deflected, never complaining but only expressing her love for her children. “Life was good,” was her mantra, and “It will all work out.” 

Before we departed, I noticed my friend discreetly slip something under his now empty plate. I paid for the meal and left a generous tip. At least it was generous by my estimations. Since the good wife and I have a daughter that worked for years as a server, I know the value of tipping and never leave a server unpaid.

Once we were back on the road, riding in the moving van during this portion of the journey, I questioned my friend about the items under the plate. My friend responded, “Since everything is paid for on this trip and I have no expenses, I will use the money I have with me to bless others. I was so moved by her situation that I left her a couple of hundreds.”

This action repeated itself several more times over the remainder of the journey. It may not have been repeated to the same level, but in each case, it was a “no questions, no judgment” blessing that was value related to the need. This was not confined to a single trip but was a selfless action I seen from this friend many times across the many miles that we travelled together.

My distress with not having someone that was an “age” peer make this journey with me had quickly vanished and I knew that this man was someone that I wanted to call a friend from that day on. We had great adventures as the trip continued!
(Paul Richardson's column, The Horse I Rode In On, is published weekly in the Neosho Daily News and Seneca Post-Dispatch and on the Turner Report.)

No comments: