Sunday, September 27, 2020

Following video of Carthage teen drinking, singing racist song, bar owner vows to do better job spotting fake IDs, removes confederate flag


The owner of Bernie's Bar and Grill in Avilla says his bar did not intentionally serve the 16-year-old Carthage youth whose drinking and singing of a racist version of Alabama's Song of the South have gone viral in a Facebook video.

Rick Walker also stressed he does not condone the type of racist behavior exhibited by the Carthage High School student, who is the son of a Jasper County elected official, in the video.

Walker posted several comments on the Facebook page of a Carthage woman who was disgusted by the teen's actions and posted the video.







"We are not responsible for what comes out of people's mouth, but we are for what goes in their mouth at our place. He was carded, so we need to get better at spotting out fakes," Walker said.

The presence of the minor in the establishment was not against any law or city ordinance, Walker said. "(S)ince we also serve food, we've always allowed minors to come in."

That policy will change, Walker promised.

"In the future, there will be no minors allowed after 9 p.m. when the grill closes. We are very sorry this happened and will be making changes to stop this."

Walker said he and his staff are planning to take a class to help them detect fake IDs, but the racist language is a different matter.

"I can't control what comes out of one kid's mouth. What he sang was wrong ; I do not condone it, I hate it, but I have no control over other people's hateful mouths. Just like I can't control you saying "lets shut this b---h down.

"But I can control to the best of my power to control underage drinking. We are going to look into a class that helps us detect fake IDs. I am talking about this, because it us within my control to get better at it. I just don't know how to stop idiots from saying stupid s--t."

On the subject of the confederate flag, when a commenter suggested Walker should consider taking down the flag, he responded that he would consider it.

"Perhaps I will, it was hanging there when I got the place and since I am not a racist I've never gave it much thought."

Further discussion took place on the subject with one commenter saying Walker needed to make it happen and not mincing words about it.

Rick Walker, I am happy you are taking ownership and have chosen to prevent this from happening again. If that kid left your bar and killed someone else or himself, this would be incredibly worse. But really, take down that damn flag. If you’re not a racist, you damn well know better.

Walker quickly responded, "Done, it's coming down." 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great bar, love it there and have been to Bernie's dozens of times. But they do not card anyone, EVER. It's a small bar in a small community with no police force, they pretty much serve alcohol to anyone who comes in. If nothing else, they'll just have an underage patron pull something out of their wallet, like a business card, and pretend it's an ID.

Anonymous said...

It's a great bar, love it there and have been to Bernie's dozens of times. But they do not card anyone, EVER. It's a small bar in a small community with no police force, they pretty much serve alcohol to anyone who comes in. If nothing else, they'll just have an underage patron pull something out of their wallet, like a business card, and pretend it's an ID.

Anonymous said...

Is their ASCAP license all paid up?

Live music and covers and recorded music and whatnot.

From what I hear they ain't no joke.

Anonymous said...

It is a great place. I was there just a couple of weeks ago and I was carded and I'm 36 years old. There is no way they would have intentionally served a minor. I have been there many of times and have always noticed they checked ID's on everyone.

Anonymous said...

Wake Up -

This Bar should be Fined and/or Closed Down - they Broke the Law. If someone at a Convenience Store sells a Minor Cigarettes or Alcohol - the Store and Clerk is Fined and most likely Fired - No Exceptions - - Where is the MISSOURI STATE ALCOHOL & TOBACCO CONTROL at - - Do Your Job.

Dorothy Fulks, Webb City, MO said...

"I can't control what comes out of one kid's mouth. What he sang was wrong ; I do not condone it, I hate it, but I have no control over other people's hateful mouths. Just like I can't control you saying "lets shut this b---h down.{"}

I remember seeing a sign in a lot of the places I used to drink in that said, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Heck, there was this one favorite place in Colorado that had a list in plain sight of the five or so people who had been "86'ed," meaning they could not come back in at all.

So, I have to wonder if this bar owner has the same recourse. Surely he can 1) stop serving more drinks, 2) tell someone they have to leave, and 3) take the keys from anyone he judges to have drank so much as to be impaired. And he sounds like the kind of fellow who would offer to call someone to come get the drinker.

Liz said...

I grew up around Rick he is good people, I dont think this was intentional and hes definatly not racist. Sure he could of told they guy to leave but why would he stop someone from having a good time that's spending $ on drinks supporting his business?Unless the person is being belligerent and out of control I dont see Rick telling anyone they have to leave. I havent seen the video so I cant speak on that.

Patricia Silvers said...

Really! I've been there a lot and Rick and his workers all ask for ID's! He does not serve alcohol to minors!Pull out a business card?? That's not so! Staying Anonymous so you can still go to Bernie's right???

Anonymous said...

Tik Tok.


How's that ASCAP license?