Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Is there too much emphasis on books that appeal to females?

The blog Fat Jack's Erratic Rants makes the point that much of the literature that is required in schools is geared specifically toward girls, which might explain why it has been so easy for boys to give up on reading:

As a future teacher, I would argue for books that have do not have a gender bias, or that have less of a gender bias. I would advocate for books that both girls and boys are attracted too – books that have strong characters from both genders – books that most children can relate to. I will prefer books that do not have racism and stereotypes. Or if the books do, that there is some resolve of those stereotypes or racism at the end, such as in Mark Twain's classic tale, Huckleberry Finn. So far, I’ve read Charlotte's Web and The Secret Garden and I am sorely disappointed. Just as a point, they are both girl books. Not that a book is bad because it is a girl book or boy book. Our world needs both girl books and boy books. But our college children's literature class, teaching future teachers, should not rely so heavily on girl books.


Jack's concern, as you can tell, stems from a college children's literature class he is taking in which the required reading material is heavily weighted toward books that are of greater interest to females. Part of that could be because of the far greater number of English/literature/communication arts teachers, as well as elementary teachers who are females.
In the Joplin R-8 School District, I am the only male communication arts teacher in the three middle schools, and I am not a reading teacher (all teachers are reading teachers, but that is not my primary subject, each eighth grader takes a class solely devoted to reading).
It is an issue worth studying.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two words. Harry. Potter.

Successful series of stories about (central character) a boy who happens to have (peripheral characters) both a female and a male sidekick.

I tend to wonder if Huck Finn may not appeal very much to today's children due to the fact that the vast majority of children live in the city and have no contact with the era that he lived in and very little contact with country life. Or maybe that's just not considered a saleable option by the publishers. Maybe what children want to read today is something more recognizable to them, that they can identify with, or maybe they want something about a world that is completely fictionalized?

Anyway, you ARE a writer, Randy. And you have a lot of daily contact with children. Maybe you should try writing a children's book.

Gregory Holman said...

Interesting topic, Randy.

Who says Charlotte's Web is a girl book? What is a "girl book" or a "boy book" anyhow? I read CW *and* Huck Finn as a boy. I agree we should always take our audience into account before presenting them with material, but good grief. Isn't the capacity to learn about different experiences (boys vs girls in this case) part of the process of learning to be a well-rounded, educated person?

I think teachers in search of good children's books might hit on A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket or the work of Kate Klise, who lives here in the Ozarks (covered last year in 417 Magazine's Reads pages). Both writers include characters of both genders, and I think the writing appeals to anyone. Snicket and Klise's works are written at a level probably appropriate for a lot of middle-school kids (I think -- I know my 12- and 15-year-old sisters both like them), but their senses of humor also appeal to this adult, at least.

Greg Holman

Anonymous said...

Huck Finn's story is filled with the "n" word and, although it shows blacks as uneducated, it hardly shows they are ignorant.

"Huckleberry Finn" has to be viewed in its historical context. If you read the book--really read it and understand it--you'll see it tells the story of a raciallly bigoted and benighted society but the story isn't bigoted at all.

The most outstanding character of the book is Jim, the escaped slave. He alone among the adult characters isn't a liar, charlatan, thief, fool, alcoholic or killer.

The book, published in 1884, satirizes a society that remained very much in existence till well into the 20th century and, in a certain sense, remains alive and well today.

It is a book for a boy or a girl? It's a book for a boy but it could be read by either one.

After all, I have read the Nancy Drew books--some of them--and they are very much girl books. Good writing is good writing.

But any child reading Huck Finn probably needs to be given the historical context talk.

Anonymous said...

The fact that there is a genre of writing dubbed "chick lit" seems to be indicative of a market of literature directed toward females. Is there too much "chick lit?" Go to Hastings and see what's on the sale rack. I don't know when they'd have time to read between making babies and cooking meals.

Anonymous said...

Randy, what's the website you use to find all the court/trial information?

Randy said...

case.net for Missouri cases. I get my federal court information from the PACER system.
And thanks everyone for the comments on the book topic. It has been great to have an actual discussion without it turning into back-and-forth insults.

admin said...

Gregory: What makes a "girl" book versus a "boy" book? That is a great question. I did address in my original post, but only in passing. It is something I intend to flush out more fully. It's a question that deserves asking and answering.

As for Huck Finn, it's one of my all time favorites. I want to teach 4th and 5th graders, so I it's too advanced for them, but it's a great suggestion (If taught responsibly, as you suggest.)

Mr. Turner, I really appreciate your posting this on your site and advancing this discussion here. I love it when education-related issues pop up on your site. I am studing elementary education and I feel lonely sometimes as there aren't many other guys studying elementary. I've only met one so far at MSU.

BTW, I watched the John Stossel report on vouchers and I see your objections. Never did he discuss the discrimination in the private schools' admission policies. Not once did he state that they don't have to take children with disabilties.