$38,093 - $57,418 with excellent benefits
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
THE FOLLOWING DUTIES ARE NORMAL FOR THIS TITLE. THESE ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS EXCLUSIVE OR ALL-INCLUSIVE. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE REQUIRED AND ASSIGNED.
• Assist the City Manager, the Assistant City Manager, department heads and other city staff with a variety of highly complex administrative functions and special projects, including preparing various correspondences.
• Plan and execute various tasks related to assigned projects including project management, conducting research and coordination for assigned special projects and programs, and performing statistical analyses as requested.
• Supervise and monitor assigned projects; maintain files and records related to projects and activities; compose routine and special correspondence.
• Prepare written correspondence for the City Manager to various external agencies; communicate with the public regarding complaints, concerns and requests for information.
• Prepare and administer budgets in relation to assigned projects; develop administrative procedures as required; make recommendations to City management regarding programs, services equipment and personnel.
• Prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence; develop and present recommendations on programs, policies and procedures as a result of assigned projects.
• Apply for grants through the City Manager’s office and assist other departments with the evaluation and monitoring of grant-funded programs to ensure adherence to guidelines of granting agent; reviews written reports for compliance with grant requirements.
• May confer with department heads and managers to develop program goals/objectives.
• Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints.
• May supervise and direct interns for the City Manager’s office.
• Acts as the city manager’s office liaison in working with Neighborhood Services staff to develop and implement neighborhood programs.
• Assists with downtown development and redevelopment projects as needed.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
WHILE FOLLOWING TASKS ARE NECESSARY FOR THIS POSITION, THEY ARE NOT AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AND MAY ALSO BE PERFORMED BY OTHER EMPLOYEES.
• Attend and participate in professional group meetings
• Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of city management and administration
• Answers telephone and handles customer inquiries.
• Assists with special events and programs, as needed.
OTHER TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description shall not to be construed as an exclusive or all inclusive list of the duties associated with this position.
• The supervisor may on occasion assign other duties which are not specifically listed in this job description, provided the employee is qualified and certified/licensed to perform these additional functions.
Required or Preferred Qualifications (ie: minimum GPA, major, experience):
LANGUAGE ABILITY AND INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
• Requires the ability to process, calculate, compute, summate, and/or tabulate data and/or information. Includes the ability to perform subsequent action in relation to these computational operations.
• Requires the ability to explain, demonstrate and clarify to others established policies, procedures and standards. Ability to follow specific instructions and respond to requests from others.
• Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and technical data and information such as financial reports, spreadsheets, regulations, payroll reports, payment records, collection reports, journal entries, balance sheets, invoices, billing statements, insurance forms, purchase orders, accounts payable reports, computer software operating manuals, accounting principles and correspondence.
• Requires an exceptional ability to communicate orally and in written correspondence.
• Ability to advise and provide interpretation regarding the application of policies, procedures and standards to specific situations.
• Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, division calculate percentages, discounts, and decimals.
• Requires the ability to learn and apply formulas using database software and spreadsheets.
• Requires knowledge of statistical principles and methods.
JUDGMENT AND SITUATIONAL REASONING ABILITY
• Requires the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Involves semi-routine standardized work, with some latitude for independent judgment regarding choices of action.
• Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems. Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form. Ability to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objective.
• Requires the ability to exercise sound judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
• Requires the ability to operate a variety of office equipment such as personal computer, word processor, telephone, fax machine, calculator/adding machine, camera, computer printer and photocopier.
• Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some combination of lifting, sitting, and carrying of objects weighing twenty-five pounds. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
• Tasks are generally performed in safe and comfortable office surroundings. May experience exposure to adverse environmental conditions that include exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations and extremes, violence, humidity, disease and/or dust.
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a closely related field and two to three years’ experience in government management/administration, preferably in a municipal setting.
• Master’s degree in public administration preferred. Must have a strong knowledge of personal computers and software applications, including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
• Interpersonal, oral and writing skills and the ability to interact positively with a diverse population.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to successfully complete a thorough background check, and successfully complete a physical exam and drug test.
Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of, a City application. Obtain required application from the City of Joplin Human Resources Office at 602 South Main Street in Joplin, MO. 64801. Open Until Filled. The City of Joplin is an Affirmative Action, ADA and Equal Opportunity Employer.