The following advertisement for the position was placed on the district website:
Position: JHS Assistant Principal
Term: 11 Months
Location: Joplin High School
Qualifications: Valid Missouri certification in School Administration, grades 9
Master’s degree or higher in Educational Administration, required
Reports to: Principal
Joplin Schools is looking for a JHS Assistant Principal. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a high level of professional leadership to administer, supervise and organize, to help increase academic achievement. Candidate should have a strong background in teaching for academic achievement, experience in the development of curriculum, and demonstrated leadership for instructional excellence.
- Supports the mission of Joplin Schools.
- Supports the value of education.
- Complies with the privacy rights of students.
- Safeguards confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Communicates effectively with all the members of the school district and community.
- Provides excellence in customer service both internally and externally.
- Reacts to change productively.
- Keeps abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Maintains accurate records and filing systems for accountability and audit purposes.
- Ensures that all activities conform to district, state, or federal guidelines.
- Observe, mentor and evaluate teachers
- Lead professional collaboration with teams of teachers
- Serve as a curriculum specialist in the building
- Assist with the creation of the professional development plan for the building
- Monitor curriculum development
- Supervise students
- Implement and enforce the district’s student discipline policy
- Coordinate and oversee student organizations and activities
- Perform the duties of the principal in the absence of the principal
- Attend student activities and events outside of the academic day
- Supervise hallways and cafeteria
- Assist the principal in creating and maintaining handbooks
- Carry out all other duties as assigned.
An individual who holds this position must have the ability to:
- Present information to staff members
- Respond to common questions and complaints
- Interview students and staff
- Read, analyze and interpret professional journals, Board policy, administrative procedures, government memos and statutes
- Write staff memos and ordinary business correspondence
- Keep information confidential when required by law, policy or a particular situation
- Compute ratios, percentages and create and interpret graphs and figures
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Basic computer word processing, spreadsheet and research skills
- Ability to access and create reports using the district’s student information software
An individual who holds this position is frequently required to move in and around buildings and grounds to visit classrooms, attend meetings, sit for up to an hour at a time and supervise bus loading and unloading areas.
The employee must be able to hear a conversation in a noisy environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
The work conditions and environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Conditions and Environment
The work environment is consistent with a typical office environment; however the individual who holds this position will regularly be required to be outside in temperatures below freezing and above 100 degrees.
An individual who holds this position is frequently required to work irregular or extended hours.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.