Monday, May 29, 2017

McCaskill: Remembering our fallen heroes and a thank you to those who have served

(From Sen. Claire McCaskill)

As the daughter of a World War II veteran, I grew up thinking that my dad was just about the bravest man in the world. Early on, he made sure I understood the incredible sacrifices our men and women in uniform make – and that every single one of them was a beloved father, mother, son or daughter, too.

We’ll never be able to repay our debt to these heroes or express our full gratitude for their service. But taking the time today to think about those who’ve come before us – who’ve given up everything for a set of ideals – is a good start.

And finally, as we remember these fallen heroes, I encourage you to consider donating in their honor to organizations that support vets who are still with us. One of my personal favorites is Paralyzed Veterans of America, which provides care for veterans living with a severe spinal cord injury. Here’s the link if you’d like to make a contribution: https://secure.pva.org/default.aspx?tsid=8654&ovr_acv_id=2886

Today and every other day, too, I want to say a big thank you to all those who’ve served or have supported a service member. I’ve always been awed by your bravery and grateful to be your senator, friend, and – in one case – daughter.

No comments: