Saturday, March 24, 2018

Neosho R-5 Board president's response to allegations: I believe in the greatness of the Neosho community

Neosho R-5 Board of Education President Steve Douglas is answering allegations about recent district missteps by using an approach  that is being attempted on national and state levels- the accusations are all from opponents with an ax to grind, and of course, it is all fake news.

In a lengthy Facebook post Wednesday, Douglas also made the point that any allegations cannot be true because he believes in "the greatness of the Neosho community," he has a long record of service and responding to allegations would be "putting down" his neighbors.

While Douglas admits to making mistakes, he says those mistakes have made him smarter and better able to serve the Neosho community.

He does not admit, however, what those mistakes were.

The only response Douglas or any R-5 officials has made to the series of Turner Report posts detailing problems with the Junior High School project has been to show a power point presentation from last year that praises the construction project and indicates that it came in below budget.

Douglas' Facebook message also does not address allegations that change orders for the project were not approved by the board. Instead of producing certified board minutes to back his case, Douglas indicated in an earlier Facebook post that the Turner Report was printing lies, but has not said anything following another Turner Report post showing Douglas admitted the board had not approved change orders in another Facebook message and blamed the Central Office for not knowing board policy required that change orders over $10,000 be approved by the board.

Nor is there any mention of the e-mail exchange between Superintendent Dan Decker and the head of the architectural firm for the project leading to a non-disparagement agreement and a sizable contribution from the architectural firm to the district for furniture for the junior high building.

And Douglas fails to mention why the people who pointed out the problems with the spending on the junior high project are no longer employed by the school district- all five members of the Finance Department with 49 years of service to the district.

Douglas tells his Facebook friends not to listen to "rumors or blogs."

Apparently, he would prefer they don't read district documents either.

The text of Douglas' Facebook message is printed below:

Over the past six months, I have been drawn into the less pleasant side of Neosho politics. The side where people mislead and lie to advance their own personal agenda. I have stayed true to myself and made time to answer questions with facts and honesty. It is only my family name I must honor as I close my eyes at the end of a day.

Some people have encouraged me to fight back, bring things to light against those who spread inaccuracies. If I lower myself to "waller" in the mud of local politics, then I disrespect the great character of the very community I profess to love. It is time Neosho gets away from infighting and we build. We build a better community for a better tomorrow. Some people don't understand me. Some people misunderstand me. They underestimate my will, drive, and passion to make Neosho better.

I am not a coward. I have protected the people of Neosho and Newton County with my very life for more than 25 years, as a cop. I am a different breed. You see, I truly believe in the greatness of Neosho. I believe in the people of the Ozarks. I know "these people". The "people" I know have pulled in behind me, when I have had a flat tire along a lonely highway, and offered to lend a hand.

The way to a better community is not to attack and put down your neighbors. People who do that are part of the problem, not the solution. Positive people, positive leaders, lend a hand; not a fist.

From my vantage point, some people can sit back in the shadows and stir controversy. Some can complain from the comfort of their living room. Many can lead when there are sunny skies. But, few can man the wheel of the ship when the seas are foamy and the clouds are black. I will always hold on to Neosho's wheel, no matter the weather.

Question my results or decisions, that is your right. No, as an elected member of the Neosho School Board, it is YOUR DUTY to question my actions. I serve you. I represent you. I answer to you.

Do not question my integrity, underestimate my intelligence, or mistake my kindness and love as weakness. Kindness and love are the only things making the world strong, today.

I have made mistakes. I will make more mistakes. But, with each mistake comes knowledge. With each failure comes determination.

I appreciate you holding me accountable for my actions, as an elected representative. I welcome your scrutiny, as long you promise to get all facts and look at all angles. Don't listen to rumors, Blogs, or conjecture. Hold me accountable, as you yourself wishes to be accounted.

To those who have spread lies and misleading statements about myself and the Neosho School District, I refer you to one of the World's greatest minds.... “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters” ― Albert Einstein

I am asking for your support and humbly request your vote for the Neosho Board of Education, not because I am perfect, but because I am real. I really love Neosho. I really want Neosho to thrive. I really want the very best academic offerings for our youth. I really want to serve you.




Previous Neosho R-5 Posts

Allegation that five-year-old Neosho boy inappropriately touched, threatened kindergarten classmate at center of possible legal action against school district

Neosho R-5 Board President: Central Office wasn't aware board had to approve change orders on Junior High building project

Carver Elementary principal's administrative leave, removal of Finance Department illustrate toxic atmosphere at Neosho R-5

Neosho Superintendent signed non-disparagement contract, agreed to $150,000 "donation" from architectural firm

Former Neosho R-5 accountant: Finance Department told to keep quiet about Junior High project funding errors

Neosho R-5 administrators say there are things they can't tell staff, but they will be transparent about it

Neosho Daily News on junior high investigation: We report news, not speculation or gossip

Neosho R-5 School Board President: There was no trickery with our lovely junior high

State investigators examining discrepancies, lack of transparency in Neosho Junior High building project

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vote him out. He’s made a mockery of the district. He and the other board members have no balls. Totally undermine the administration - somehow they know way more then anyone in education.

Guess the apple didn’t fall far from the tree- didn’t his dad help run MSSU into the ground when he was board of regents?

Anonymous said...

Citizens of Neosho R-5, you have the right to request the state auditor inspect the misappropriation and misuse of funds. You also have the right to request the Missouri Attorney General inspect whether there were violations of the Sunshine Law.

DO IT.

Anonymous said...

Yes Neosho citizens you have rights!! The State Auditor is already investigatingthis sitatuon and if we all speak up they will get involved more. These so called rumors and lies are NOT rumors and lies!!! Reach out to those individuals who are no longer employed in the finance department and ask questions. I did and I know what really went on and I highly recommend you do as well. Contact the attorney general about the Sunshine Law being broken repeatedly. It’s time this mockery of leadership stop. This district is an embarrassment. Look at our student achievement. It’s absolutely the worst it’s ever been. There is no leadership guiding our teachers or principals. Board members hiring personnel because they were “childhood friends” is great use of district funds. This literacy program is an absolute joke. Teachers hate it but are afraid to speak up because Mrs. Sears, Curriculum Director, will immediately tell Brett Day and Steve Douglas and they will lose their job. Please ask about our student achievement scores compared to districts around us. We are the worst. That is why it’s not being talked about. It’s embarrassing. NEOSHO we have to speak up. Contact the State Auditor and Attorney General. It’s the right thing to do for our kids, our students. Make a change in April. Vote Douglas out. Let’s see what a difference it will make!!! Spangler and Douglas can call it fake news but let’s find out the truth. Let’s see how fake it really is. Reach out to those that are gone. You will be surprised at what you hear!!!

Anonymous said...

Apples never fall far from the tree. Sometimes they make roll a bit after they fall but even then they usually don't go too far.
Unless an animal of some kind moves them. Maybe a deer or raccoon or something.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Douglas stated in his Facebook dissertation to not question his integrity...I would question his lack of integrity! He speaks to those who have spread lies and misleading information referring them to an Albert Einstein quote “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” Well said Mr. Douglas we hope you take your own advice and step away. It is obvious you cannot be trusted with small, large or important matters of this school district. Your misleading statements, lies, poor financial decisions, lack of knowledge of your own board policies Mr President, lack of transparency with the TRUTH, only providing a portion of the JH project expenses, etc, Being a board member is not about power or your family name it’s to do what is best for all students, all the time!! We desperately need a change! We want a change! We need a board where ALL members are engaged and know what is going on not only two members running the show. The entire board needs to be informed of matters and not be kept in the dark. Our current board has no idea how much they were left out of or not informed of! Just ask those involved in the JH project! It’s mind boggling to hear. WE WANT AND NEED CHANGE!! Or this mockery will continue. Come on Neosho vote for change!

Anonymous said...

Second verse, same as the first. Who knows, maybe even worse.

Neosho School Board approves Goodman Elementary contracts to ... drum roll ... Sapp and Associates and Branco!!!

Anonymous said...

7:50 PM yes and district documents, emails between SAPP owner and Superintendent Dan Decker, show SAPP had the deal PRIOR to the legal bidding process!! Conversations about Goodman Elementary began the day SAPP agreed to pay a little money back to the district when the JH mistake was found and the Nondiscloure document was signed by both parties. I guess it’s you don’t talk about me being incompetent and I won’t talk about you being incompetent around here. And we will continue to do business with each other so we can cover up each other’s mistakes!!! Kinda like bringing back Tim Crawley...he totally messed up the JH project but the board knows he won’t share district mistakes because he was part of it so come on back and do some more wonderful work!!! If I were the other companies who bid on Goodman Elem. especially those the board interviewed, (like they even had a chance) I would sue the board and the district. Maybe someone should contact those companies and share what really went down. The decision was made months before with SAPP and Branco. Transparency Mr. Douglas??? Honest?? Upfront?? Doing what is best for Neosho?? Hmmmmm