Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Paul Richardson: Library's summer reading program revives memories

(Paul Richardson's column, The Horse I Rode In On, is published weekly in the Neosho Daily News and Seneca Post-Dispatch and on the Turner Report.)

It was a choice. A choice that my parents made early on. That choice was to forego the ownership of a television with the goal being that without a television their children would be encouraged to read more. It worked on half of the children all the time. The other half of the children it worked on part of the time.

The summer reading program at the Neosho Newton County Library reminded me of this bit of history.

The need to read is so essential that during the entire time of the good wife’s teaching career that was her primary goal. Children leaving her kindergarten class would have a solid grasp on reading and then as a first-grade teacher she strove to enhance that skill. Reading is the core to all other paths of learning.

Although my parents didn’t have a television in the house until I was a senior in high school, we were permitted to indulge on the weekends at Grandma Richardson’s home or my dear mother’s parents Grandpa and Grandma Smith. There were also the households of uncles and aunts where we visited on occasion. 








Sometimes it was at an appropriate time for some television viewing. This lack of television at my parents was not a burden as there were other incentives offered. 

The good wife and I have an item of furniture, a solid maple study desk that I earned during my first year of school. The offer was proffered, hey that is a clever bit of language, for the child that read one hundred books or more during the school year that individual would receive a desk in return. These were confirmed reads as the task would be performed out loud in the parent’s presence.

My first-grade year was at Field Elementary and Mrs. Land was my teacher. The school year began, and I was eager to get started. The first-grade class was also my first year of school, having not attended kindergarten, so I had to figure this reading task out quickly in order to accomplish the challenge that was set before me. 

It wasn’t long and I was able to take books home with me to read in the evenings. I can’t recall how many books I read, but the one hundred mark was left sitting in the dust. So, for the last fifty-six years and counting, I have been the proud owner of a very fine desk.

The desk was one of those gifts that has staying power. Not like a trip to the ice cream parlor or some other more temporal prize, but one that will remain beyond my existence. My grandson has used it for the past several years and I am certain that it will pass on to others in the coming generations. 

However, this was not the only incentive that my dear mother employed. One of my favorite things was the subscription to a book club. This book club supplied books that were age appropriate. 

Monthly upon the arrival of the latest edition, it became my goal to first acquire the book and then read the book cover-to-cover in one setting. The first step in this plan was to obtain the book without attracting attention. 

Once this covert action was completed, the next part of the plan required that a secure hiding place be sought out, again without attracting attention. My dear mother seems to believe that the only place I ever hid was beneath my bed. Little does she know! The length of the books was generally in the neighborhood of one hundred fifty pages. Short novels designed for pre-teen youth readers. 

My consumption of reading material was fairly rapid but even this length of material dictated that the chosen place of seclusion remains a secret for a while. One didn’t want to get assigned a task in the middle of Chapter Five.








Let the search begin! Where’s that kid at? On occasion I was discovered. I believe that the discovery may have been made by my younger sister, who then ratted me out to my dear mother. 

In time my dear mother just knew that until the latest edition had been completed, she would just give me the time and the solitude to indulge.

As fate may have it, the good wife was also a voracious reader. During the early years when we were relocating more frequently, the most difficult and heavy part of the move was the books. 

Boxes upon boxes of books had to be packed, toted, unpacked and shelved. When one of us is reading, the other totally understands. From people that like to read, our hope is that the Neosho Newton County Library summer reading programs has parents everywhere exclaiming, “Where’s that kid at?”

No comments: