Saturday, February 09, 2008

Kinder decision leaves Jackson in cold


Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder's decision to drop out of the governor's race and run for re-election was not a stunner at the level of Matt Blunt's decision that started the ball rolling, but it did stun former Rep. Jack Jackson, R-Wildwood, who announced his candidacy for lieutenant governor...with Kinder's blessing. Jo Mannies had the story today in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Jackson said that had he known Kinder would change his mind, “I wouldn’t have activated my statewide campaign and called all these people” for money and support.

Jackson says he got about a five-minute heads-up before Friday’s dinner about Kinder’s planned announcement that he was dropping out and running for re-election.

“I am extremely disappointed. I was talking to Peter as late as a day and half ago, and he was (then) running for governor,” Jackson said.

So what does he do now? “I’m going to see how this shakes out this week,” Jackson said. “I see no reason for me to drop out, just because he changed his mind.”

Jackson said that he wasn’t taking Kinder’s decision personally, but still…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy, The 2003-2004 edition of the Official Manuel of the state of Missouri lists, Jack Jackson as representing District 89 in St. Louis county, specifically Wildwood, MO.

Randy said...

You are absolutely right. I did not even realize I had written that. Thanks. I will get it changed.