Saturday, March 30, 2019

Nancy Hughes: Who do I remind you of?

“Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”
I Corinthians 11:1 (NIV)


The elderly lady pinched my cheeks and hugged me until I could hardly breathe as she exclaimed for everyone to hear: “Oh my! You have to be related to Pat Haggans! Your smile, the way you walk…even how you talk. You remind me so much of her!”

I confirmed that yes, she was my aunt and thanked the woman for the compliment, as I rubbed my cheeks and prayed the sting of the pinch would go away quickly. I got that reaction a lot as a little girl because my aunt and I were very similar in mannerisms, personality and appearance.

Here is my question for you today: When people look at you, who do they see? We may remind them of a friend of theirs or perhaps a sister or cousin . . . but do we remind them of Jesus?

In I Corinthians 11:1, Paul is not saying “Follow MY example. Period. That’s it!” Absolutely not. Instead, he encourages believers to follow him but only because he is following Christ’s example.

And his encouragement holds true today. If I am going to carry the name Christian – Christ Follower – then I must make sure that the way I walk, talk and smile – in other words, everything about me – mirrors the perfect example of Christ.










I ask you today to hold me accountable, my friends. In the checkout line at the grocery store, when I’m stuck in traffic, in a conversation with friends, when someone takes my spot in the parking lot. Who do I remind you of?

Father, My desire is to be like you in everything I do and say but it seems like I fail miserably time and time again. Help me to stay in your Word every day so that I never forget how you treated and loved those around you. I want people around me to see you in me every single day. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect

· If this was your last day on earth, how do you think people would view your life?
· Would they say “She was a Christian!” or would it be “SHE was a Christian?”

Apply

· Search the Scriptures to find examples of how Jesus treated those around Him.

· Keep those Scriptures in mind as you face each day, no matter where you go, and practice loving and speaking as Jesus did in His ministry.

Power

· I Corinthians 11:1 (NIV) “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

· I Peter 2:21 (NIV) “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.”

· Psalm 143:8 (NIV) “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement From the War Room.)

No comments: