Saturday, May 11, 2019

Nancy Hughes: The ultimate do-over

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come.”
II Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)


I love a “do over.” Just that phrase itself promises the opportunity of a fresh start. For example, if I hit a bad note while singing in a music contest, I would love a “do over” to try to sway the judges to give me a good score.

And, heaven forbid, if I accidentally ran over the neighbor’s cat, wouldn’t a “do over” be a wonderful thing, especially for the cat?

Consider if my hair dresser gave me a new haircut that I thought would look great but didn’t. A “do over” on my new “do” could restore everything as it was before my poor decision.

And, my goodness, what about my golf game? Through the years I have given myself countless near-hernias because I have swung (with proper form, I might add) and missed the ball at least a thousand times.

A “do over” would give me one more chance to hit the ball and avoid a hernia in the process. Who wouldn’t love the idea of a “do over”?

Astonishingly, our Father has given us a one-of-a-kind “do over” in the precious gift of Jesus. As Paul writes in today’s Scripture, when we accept Christ, we become a new creation.











Forget the old person that we were with all our mistakes and near hits and misses. Bury the old self that just could not quite hit the note or the ball or, Lord have mercy, miss the cat!

The difference between our “do over” and our Father’s is that even though we try and try to get it right, we are never going to do everything perfectly. All the “do overs” in the world will not make us without sin. Jesus, once and for all, became the “do over” in our place.

No matter what your heart looks like, we all have the opportunity to have a “do over” in Christ and to allow the forgiveness and mercy only He can give replace the old with the new . . . forever.

Do I wish that I could have one more try at hitting that note more clearly or knocking the golf ball yards away or turning left instead of right when I saw the cat? Sure I do. I would love one more “do over.”

But may I never forget that the Ultimate Do Over is Jesus.

Father, with all my heart I thank you for Jesus, for allowing Him to die for me, for allowing Him to take my place. How excited I am to be a new creation in you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


Is there anything in your life that you want to “do over” and make more presentable before you turn it over to the Lord?

Why are you hesitating to allow Him to replace all the old with His forgiveness and mercy?

Apply

Memorize the power verses for today’s devotion.

Any time that you feel the need to “do over” before coming before the Lord, speak each power verse to your heart.

Power

II Corinthians 5:17 (NIV) “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.”

Galatians 2:20 (NIV) “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.”

I John 1:9 (NIV) “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purity us from all unrighteousness.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: