Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Nancy Hughes: When storms hit


“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”


John 16:33 (NIV)

Strong storms packed with wind and rain seem to be the normal in Missouri. 

I remember one particular downpour during the first quarter of our local football game on a cool Friday evening. Fortunately I had with me an umbrella big enough to protect nearly a third of the stadium. I needed one that coordinated with my brown jacket and found one with “gold” stamped on the package and then realized after I opened it at home that it actually said “golf.” Oh well.

But as I sat at the game, I thought back to my first storm without the protection of my husband. He had passed away about three months before the big winds and rain hit. 








The electricity in my home had gone out and I had lit candles everywhere but they did nothing to calm my fears as shingle after shingle flew off the roof and thudded like wounded birds on the lawn.

I remember wondering “Will it always be like this? Will I always huddle on the sofa and feel so frightened of every storm that comes my way?” I knew that if he had been there, my husband would have grinned and winked and said “It’s a big one, isn’t it Nance.” and I would have been reassured instantly. But he wasn’t there nor would he be coming back so I pulled my sweater tighter around me, prayed silently, and waited for the storm to pass.

That was several years ago but the “storms” have continued to hit with a vicious force. One “storm” was an empty propane tank on the coldest night of the year. Another was a truck that flatly refused to ever run again after I stopped at a red light. Still another was a major financial issue that needed to be addressed immediately. And the latest storm? A virus indiscriminately trying to sink its teeth into every person it comes in contact with. Storm after storm after storm.

Of course we have those times of fresh air, sunshine, a view that is breathtaking and more money in the bank than bills on the kitchen counter and our hearts are at peace. But we cannot deny the inevitability in John 16:33 that just the opposite will eventually happen: unforeseen storms will blindside us and bills will pile up with an empty bank account; a health diagnosis will be cancer; a best friend will pass away.

And what is the answer? We don’t have the power to decide exactly when to schedule a storm. And honestly, is there ever a good time to pencil in a broken arm on our calendars? Not at all. 

But the one constant that I have learned through life is this: God will never leave us in our storms. He stays right beside us, encouraging us and giving us strength to continue on as the winds rage around us. He comforts us as He reminds that all storms are temporary. They will blow over. We will experience relief. Even when I don’t understand the “why” in the storm. Even when my heart is broken to the point that I don’t think it can be repaired. Even then.

May I suggest something for you to consider the next time a storm hits your life? Stand in the middle of your living room, turn your face to the Lord and praise Him. WHAT you say? Praise?? Yes. Praise Him for never leaving you. 

Praise Him for being in control of all things – including storms. Praise Him for having a purpose in every storm – even when you can’t see it. That is not saying you are happy and content with every storm you experience; it is saying that you will trust the One who sees what you do not.

We are going to be drenched again and again as storms blow into our lives but rest assured that they will also blow out of our lives as well. And the Creator of the Universe will never ever EVER leave us. I pray you feel His presence and His peace today and every day.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever believed that the storm you experienced would last forever and the Lord would not be with you?

Did you call on the Lord to get you through or get angry that it was happening to you?

Apply

When a storm hits in your life, stop, take a deep breath, and ask the Lord to make His presence known in your life.

Memorize the 23rd Psalm and praise the Lord in the middle of the storm. Ask prayer warriors to be praying over you.

Power

John 16:33 (NIV) “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 23:4 (NIV) “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comport me.”

Exodus 33:14 (NIV) “The Lord replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: