Saturday, November 17, 2018

Nancy Hughes: Deal with it

“I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my
cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear
to me, I will call on him as
long as I live.”
Psalm 116:1-2 (NIV)


My husband and I had taken our three children on a mini-vacation to visit family in another state. There wasn’t a lot of time to do very much but the one activity that everybody loved was to go to the local swimming pool.

Our three kids were part fish and never missed an opportunity to swim, no matter where they were. Off we drove late one afternoon with four adults, six children, inner tubes, towels, goggles and sun screen but we had forgotten one very important thing: the closing time for the pool.

We walked up to the counter, money in hand. But instead of letting us pay and go on in, the two pool managers began a lively debate on how much to charge or whether they should even let us in since it was almost closing time.

Finally, one girl turned to the other one and said “I’m really too busy for this so…deal with it!” and walked off.

The manager who was left looked at us for a few seconds, sighed, and then said “I just don’t have the time to deal with you either. There’s no point in your coming in since we close in a few minutes.” and turned away, leaving us standing with everything we needed to swim except permission to enter.

How thankful I am that when I approach my Heavenly Father in prayer, He has never said “You got yourself into this situation so deal with it!” and turned His back in dismissal.

Not once have I knelt before God, only to have Him say “Permission to enter refused, Nancy. I have too many other things much more important than you. Come back tomorrow when I’m open between the hours of 10 and 2 and I’ll try to work you in.”

David knew about calling on the name of God. In Psalm 34:15 we read David praising the Lord for being “attentive” to his cries for help and then thanking Him for His answers when he cried out loud to the Lord in Psalm 3:4.

David never got a busy signal or a recorded voice nor was he ever told to “deal with it.” Instead he got a Father who not only heard his cries for help but answered!

The great news is, we have that same access today to our Creator. He longs for us to come before Him with every praise, every problem, every sorrow, every situation. Not only does He hear our voices but He is attentive to each word that we utter in His presence.

Call on Him today. He longs to “deal with” everything you bring before Him and you will never be turned away.

Father, I praise your name for being a God who desires to have us come before you with every detail of our lives. Thank you for your faithfulness in hearing our prayers and answering our needs. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect


Have you ever experienced a situation similar to the one in today’s devotion?

How did it make you feel to be told that you and your situation were not important enough to be addressed?

Application

Journal prayer requests that you bring before the Lord along with the date.

As God answers each prayer, write down the date and compose a praise to Him for His willingness to hear us when we call on Him.

Power Verses

Psalm 116:1-2 (NIV) “I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”

Psalm 34:15 (NIV) “The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry..."

Psalm 3:4 (NIV) “To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.”

***
Nancy Hughes' latest book- Healing From the Heart: The Journey Continues- is available at Amazon. The book features women telling their stories about becoming widows and how they have dealt with the pressures.

No comments: