Saturday, November 24, 2018

Nancy Hughes: Quiet on the set

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him . . ."
Psalm 37:7 (NIV)


I was watching a documentary on how movies are made, from beginning to end. But what was most interesting to me was what happened before the actual taping of each scene.

Activity on the set was crazy! There were last minute makeup and hair touch ups as one person ran over to straighten a collar on an actor while lighting was corrected and props moved to their correct position by two more workers. It reminded me of ants scurrying to find cover as rain began to pour on their home.

Then, suddenly, four short words were spoken and everything immediately changed: “Quiet on the set!” Instantly there was complete silence. After several seconds, an assistant yelled “Action!” and everyone focused on one goal: to film the scene.



It reminded me of how my life is - a lot of the time. There are Bible studies and speaking engagements and writing deadlines and retired teacher meetings and doctor appointments and meals to prepare and laundry to wash.

There are groceries to buy and a lawn to be mowed and oil to be changed in my car. There are walls to paint and kids to pick up from school and ball games and email and Facebook. And on and on and on . . .

None of those activities are bad but when I do not take the time to first simply stop and listen to the Lord – to be “Quiet on the set!” and acknowledge Him as the Creator of the Universe – then I completely miss what His “Action!” is for me for the day.

Friends, my plea to you today is this: before one activity is begun, before you make your to-do list with everything that has to be addressed, climb out of your bed and kneel down and simply say “Lord, here I am…still before you, acknowledging you as my God, my Father, my Daddy, my Creator. I am yours. My day is yours. Please direct my day to focus on you.”

I promise you that God will give you clear direction as you look to Him and become “quiet on the set.”

Lord, each day is yours, from beginning to end. I am still before you now, asking that you direct my every thought and action this day and always. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect

Do you ever have those days where your list of activities to get done gets longer instead of shorter and you don’t seem to accomplish anything?

Did you seek the stillness of the presence of the Lord before you addressed that list?

Application

Make your list of activities for the day and lay it on your kitchen table and lay your Bible on top of it.

Sit silently before the Lord for two minutes as you ask Him to direct those activities and your path for the day. Listen for His answers through His Word.

Power Verses

Psalm 37:7 (NIV) “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him…”

Psalm 46:10 (NIV) “Be still and know that I am God.”

Philippians 4: 6 (NIV) “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

***
Nancy Hughes' latest book- Healing From the Heart: The Journey Continues- is available at Amazon. The book features women telling their stories about becoming widows and how they have dealt with the pressures.

No comments: