Sunday, December 02, 2018

Nancy Hughes: When the missile hits the mark

“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of
whom shall I be afraid?”
Psalm 17:1 (NIV)


For two weeks the Lord had been preparing me for the missile attack. At first, I thought the Scriptures that jumped out at me during my prayer time were intended for someone else.

My Bible fell open to Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” I thought of a friend who was going through a struggle with a loss and sent the Scripture with a note of encouragement.

On another day I read “Psalm 17:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?” and emailed it to a teacher who was battling a group of students who had no desire to learn but every desire to bully.





And on another day my devotion was 2 Chronicles 20:15 “…This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.’”

Suddenly it occurred to me that my Father was preparing ME for something in which I was going to have to totally and completely rely on Him and trust Him to handle. I was right.

The day after my devotion reminding me that the battle ahead was not mine, but God’s, the missile of slander came out of nowhere and with deadly precision hit its mark in the middle of the intended target: me.

The comments made were designed to hurt and to cast doubt as to my character but were made anonymously which eliminated any way of correcting what was said or confronting the offender.

I knelt beside my bed, wounded and confused at the obvious intent to cast doubt on my witness. “Why, Lord?” I cried. “I’ve tried all these years to do what you would have me do. Why is this happening?”
In the quietness of the morning, the Lord spoke clearly to my heart: “When did I ever tell you that it would be easy . . . following me? Remember what I told you? Your strength is in Me. Do not be afraid. I will do battle for you, just as I have . . . all these years.”
Have you been attacked today? Perhaps the comments of someone you do not know have reached your ears. Or maybe you have felt the sting from a dear friend who spoke your name in an unkind way.

Whatever it may be, rest assured that we have a Father who understands and who encourages us to hold on to Him as He continually and faithfully does battle in our place.

Father, thank you. For being strong for us when we are weak and for holding on to us when we have no strength on our own. For preparing us for what is to come and for allowing us to watch as you battle in our place. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

What is your immediate reaction when someone says something completely false about you?

Do you mentally make a “get even” list and store it for future reference or do you forgive and trust the Lord to battle for you?

Application

Memorize one of the power verses below and repeat it back to yourself when you have been shot at and/or hit with a missile.

Share what has happened with a trusted prayer warrior and ask for wise counsel and prayer to determine if any steps need to be taken.

Power Verses
Psalm 17:1 (NIV) “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?”

Isaiah 41:10 (NIV) “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

2 Chronicles 20:15 (NIV) “This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.’”

***
Nancy Hughes' latest book- Healing From the Heart: The Journey Continues- is available at Amazon. The book features women telling their stories about becoming widows and how they have dealt with the pressures.

No comments: