Friday, December 14, 2018

Billy Long: Organizations like I Pour Life help children and young adults

(From Seventh District Congressman Billy Long)

In October, I had the privilege of lending my auctioneering skills for a charity event supporting at-risk youth in southwest Missouri.

I Pour Life, a local nonprofit in Springfield, Missouri, focuses on helping youth become self-sufficient, hosted this special night to raise funds for children and young adults currently in the foster care system, Missouri Department of Social Services Children’s Division and the judicial system.

During the event, I met one of I Pour Life’s youth, a young man who hopes to one day run for public office. 

Throughout the night I was able to talk with him about what he hopes to accomplish in the coming years. At the end of the event, I handed him my business card and told him that when he’s ready, he’s more than welcome to come and intern for me to gain valuable hands-on experience.



This young man is one of the more than 400,000 children in the foster care system in the U.S. According to the National Foster Youth Institute, nearly one in four children in the foster care system who age out (individuals who turn 18) don’t graduate high school or have the ability to pass their GED. 

While nearly 70 percent of these kids have a desire to attend college one day, unfortunately only 6 percent actually pursue higher education. These unfortunate statistics are one of many reasons why organizations like I Pour Life exist.

Zach, who came to I Pour Life in 2016, entered the foster care system at birth. After years of jumping from home to home and dealing with both physical and emotional abuse, Zach, like many children in the system, ended up homeless. 



After coming to I Pour Life things began to turn around. Not only has Zach secured housing, he has also taken on multiple jobs and purchased a car. Although he has accomplished a great deal, he understands there is still more work to be done as he continues to work toward self-sufficiency.

These stories aren’t uncommon for I Pour Life. Organizations like this can do what the government often can’t. Like Danny Thomas, founder of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital once said, “No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.” Truer words were never spoken, and I Pour Life, and organizations like it, are stooping down to help a lot of children and young adults at a pivotal point in their lives.

No comments: